Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 08-14-2017, 08:00 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Just played a game where I found COMPRESSIBLE. Also saw "nesses" so I spent most of the game trying to pair the 2 but it wouldn't fly. At the end of the game I saw COMPREHENSIBLENESS. I missed the better word because of target fixation. I wonder how often that happens. Maybe it's best not to know! lol

Just played a board where I found INCONTROVERTIBLENESSES for 42 pts. Also played INCONTROVERTIBLENESS for 38 pts. Much to my surprise, the latter word was green in the word list. Wow, the record holder missed it. Wonder if that was target fixation or sheer panic to get the 42 pt word typed in before time expired.
I go for long words, and I'm always hesitant to try the -NESS version after getting the -NESSES one. (I see from other posts that one or the other might not work.) Anyway, I've seen too often that the -NESS version drops down in the rareness level, really dropping the word score. I might try it if the rest of the word seems rare enough to warrant a shot.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1006 View Post
I'm probably not telling you stuff you don't already know, but whenever I see -OLOGIES, I start by tracing back the Os. It seems like every part you can add to that (in reverse order) ends in a O. Count Os, and you have an indication of what you might be able to find. (I got DENDROCHRONOLOGICALLY today that way. Different ending, but I also got ELECTROMETRICALLY.)
Good point Spike. Your find of CYTOGENICITIES inspired me to play CYTOGENETICALLY for new records yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1006 View Post
I go for long words, and I'm always hesitant to try the -NESS version after getting the -NESSES one. (I see from other posts that one or the other might not work.) Anyway, I've seen too often that the -NESS version drops down in the rareness level, really dropping the word score. I might try it if the rest of the word seems rare enough to warrant a shot.
I wrote what I did in the context of playing for best/longest word records and points.You're right about that. I wouldn't try it either while looking exclusively for big words unless I KNOW the point value. That said, I thought I knew better the other day and played DEPARTMENTALIZATION after playing DEPARTMENTALIZATIONS for 41 pts. It was only worth 26 pts so I had to throw away the game. Haha, I don't listen to my own advice at times either.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:06 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Good point Spike. Your find of CYTOGENICITIES inspired me to play CYTOGENETICALLY for new records yesterday.

I wrote what I did in the context of playing for best/longest word records and points.You're right about that. I wouldn't try it either while looking exclusively for big words unless I KNOW the point value. That said, I thought I knew better the other day and played DEPARTMENTALIZATION after playing DEPARTMENTALIZATIONS for 41 pts. It was only worth 26 pts so I had to throw away the game. Haha, I don't listen to my own advice at times either.
Glad I inspired you with CYTOGENICITIES. That was a guess on my part. Sorry about DEPARTMENTALIZATION. I would have tried that too, with a potential 39 points.

As far as concentrating on forms of a particular word goes (at the expense of missing other better words), I'm kind of resigned to that. Some pieces can be red herrings, as others have noted (and claim should be illegal), but some seem less susceptible to that than others. I'll sometimes stick to a TRANS- or a GRAPH- hoping that I'll find something, even when it's clear that I'll end up tossing the board.

Last edited by Spike1006 : 08-14-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I'm trying for long words on 5x5 again. Just finished a game with 0 words... But as the time ran out, I spotted INDIGENOUSNESSES. Should have counted, right? Would have been best and longest word as well, the previous record was a 12-point 10-letter word...
Old 08-17-2017, 04:47 AM

Seems like it should be valid. Someone from admin wrote that about 50% of -ness words could be extended to -nesses. As we know, even if it's in the dictionary it may not be considered valid and many not in the dictionary are valid. The only way to be sure is to play it.
Did you see my post earlier in this thread about -ologies? There were a lot of other posts right after that pushed it out of the feed at the side of the page. Last night I missed PNEUMATOLOGISTS but found SOMATOLOGISTS in another game.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-17-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted here before (as Spike1005) about trying HYDROCHLOROFLUOROCARBONS, but it didn't work. I just ran across the same board today (as 007). My memory isn't that great these days, but I somehow recognized it immediately. (I could kind of see all the parts.) Anyway, this time, I tried the singular, and it worked! Last time I settled for HYDROFLUOROCARBONS. (The plural worked there. No idea why.) I'm not sure why I'm so happy about besting myself, but I am. As 007, I think I'll quit for the day, and maybe have a martini, shaken not stirred.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My dead cat nature got the best of me today. (curiosity slew the feline) Although I'm not a word scholar like TurtleRace or DrP, I do occasionally look up definitions when the dead cat surfaces. Today I thought of our mutual dread of -ologies. I googled words ending in it and there are only 282 different ones minus a few words like apology.

No wonder we break out in a cold sweat whenever it confronts us! lol

http://www.morewords.com/ends-with/ology/
Oh my! DrP. and some of the other Extraordinaires are the scholars. I'm just a curious hack compared to them. (Who can't remember words unless I look them up. Lol.) I appreciate the comment though, a lot.

Hope the shudders don't bother you too much because "More Words" is a great site, but they don't list all the ology-type words either. Neither does Lexic - so we may get a break because of that.

I'm getting philosophic about 'em. Sometimes I just go and see what I can make up, because sometimes its more fun than trying to find "real" ones.

Enjoy!
TR
Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Just played a new (virginal) 4x4 board, missed AGREEABLY for longest word.
You're welcome.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Just played a new (virginal) 4x4 board, missed AGREEABLY for longest word.
You're welcome.
Quite generous of you. However, I've retired from playing 4x4 for records and points.
I too feel that I've been more than generous recently in 5x5. Today as time expired I played QUANTIZE but failed to add the s to it in time. A while ago I played SYNCHRONOUSLY but failed to tack on an a to the front of it. On another board I played STERICALLY and PATERNALIST but didn't think of playing PATERNALISTICALLY until the game submitted. I could go on. Some days I feel like I keep on giving and givng such gifts and what thanks do I get from others??? lol
Old 10-07-2017, 09:14 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Aaaaugh. I saw "ENCEPHALO-" within the first 15 seconds, spent the entire time looking for the word that started with those letters while scoring very little, and ended up with only about 200 points... then saw ENCEPHALOMYELITIC just as time ran out.

The record for that board was 8 letters -- or shorter than the prefix I spotted quickly.