Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 AM

JohnAkaMrP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A word per second!

It felt like a good game as it was happening, but I didn't realize I was about to meet one of my WordTwist goals - averaging one word per second. It looks like it was a very good board - you don't see 37 of us averaging ~325 very often.

One downside is that I don't know what I should set as a new goal. 600 points in a game is not going to happen for me anytime soon (or perhaps ever), and 125 words in a game (while nicely divisible by 5) doesn't have the same attraction as reaching an even 1.0000 words/second.

WordTwist (532 120).JPG
Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Way to go John! Congrats.

I'm closing in on a personal goal and milestone myself. It's good to have goals, better to achieve them and even better to exceed them.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM

DonGuy47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if everyone on the site has a different goal! I track my best games, and pay attention to the leaderboards, but my real goal is to increase my average score every month (playing every board).
Old 08-24-2017, 04:27 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuy47 View Post
I wonder if everyone on the site has a different goal! I track my best games, and pay attention to the leaderboards, but my real goal is to increase my average score every month (playing every board).
My guess is that you're right that many players have different goals (and strategies for reaching their goals). Not only that, but goals change over time. (You're playing pretty much by pure Boggle rules, which is how I started.) If you decided that you were more excited by your high scores than your average, you might decide to skip boards that don't look promising. If you then decided to increase your average, you might start discarding boards where your score isn't high enough. I'd say that it's a slippery slope, but the point is that there's no "right" way to play, as long as you're having fun & challenging yourself.

Here, unlike Boggle, they hide big words in the board & I decided to concentrate on finding them. (When I do occasionally play real Boggle, it can be hard to shift gears.)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAkaMrP View Post
It felt like a good game as it was happening, but I didn't realize I was about to meet one of my WordTwist goals - averaging one word per second. It looks like it was a very good board - you don't see 37 of us averaging ~325 very often.
True, but that doesn't diminish your achievement - well done!
I just played a board where the average, after 38 plays, was at 80 words/406 points. I managed to get just 412 points at 88 words when zolorbowl's high score was nearly 800 points, so a lot more would have been possible. Getting 120 words must have felt amazing!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:02 AM

Red face

I've decided to take the what I'm calling the "DonGuy47 Challenge" for September and play every board the game gives me... even if I see if the top score is 275 by one of our top five players (the guys/gals who routinely set the record for boards in the range of of 675-775). I will freely admit that I'm a 'board skipper'. There could be an element of me wanting to raise my per game average, but I'd say it's predominately because I enjoy myself and the time more if I'm trying to squeeze 400 to 450 to 500 points from a 'good' board in two minutes.

Anyway, my per game average is certain to go down this month, perhaps by a crazy number. However, if I play a lot of boards where I can only get 200, 225, 250, and if I study what was available afterwards, I think that that approach could help me even on the better boards where the key limitation is time, especially if I learn to spot/use some high point words that aren't a current part of my repertoire.

One other thought as I was thinking about goals after seeing your responses - I realized that I do have another longstanding goal. Namely, I'd like to have the record for a board that has been played 50+ other times. I think I may have accomplished that once last spring, but I didn't take a screen cap to verify that later.

Edit - speak of the devil! Second game of my September DonGuy 47 Challenge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaking of DonGuy47.JPG (54.6 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by JohnAkaMrP : 09-01-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:11 PM

My DonGuy47 challenge from a month ago was a raging failure. I got tired of playing every random offering of the board generator, including one I remember where I struggled to drag myself above a hundred and others where even our best players were scoring in the upper 200's. Anyway, I gave up that challenge sometime before mid-September.

On a positive note, I've been continuing my quest to get high score/most words on a board with 50 previous plays (it seems like boards reset or otherwise disappear after the 51st play?). I've been getting some close calls, including this board tonight where I met my score and word goals on a board with 49 previous plays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snippet.JPG (27.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAkaMrP View Post

One downside is that I don't know what I should set as a new goal. 600 points in a game is not going to happen for me anytime soon (or perhaps ever), and 125 words in a game (while nicely divisible by 5) doesn't have the same attraction as reaching an even 1.0000 words/second.

Attachment 67
It was nice to see the name of the guy who held the high score on that word per second game there!