Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 10-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness
Default Average score per game maxed out?

I've noticed that the top players in the 5x5 category often reach an average of exactly 999.999 points per game. Finding this slightly suspicious, I did the math and found that MegaWord's current average is actually closer to 1,234 points per game. Even though very few exceptional players like MegaWord or fasteddieb regularly manage to surpass the current max score of 999.999, shouln't this be an easy fix? Just add another decimal point, make it possible to display an average of over 1,000 points, and the scores would be accurate again.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:15 AM

F3K1HR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
shouln't this be an easy fix?
I think our dev just cringed... I'm thinking of Office Space where Peter's entire job is to sort through code line by line and make it Y2K compliant.

Seriously though, its interesting to see the max hit. An alternative would be to add a "You exceeded the developer's expectations" Trophy for 4-figure averages.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3K1HR View Post
I think our dev just cringed...
Sorry
Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

It could be fixed, I think, like so many other identified problems on this website. But it seems admin lacks the will to do anything with it. Today I was shocked to see a thread from 3 years ago where admin actually responded to posts. Wonder what happened to those kinds of interaction.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:09 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
It could be fixed, I think, like so many other identified problems on this website. But it seems admin lacks the will to do anything with it. Today I was shocked to see a thread from 3 years ago where admin actually responded to posts. Wonder what happened to those kinds of interaction.
Maybe the admin is contracting with the assignment writing bots to answer for them. (So far, they've just been practicing.) Let's hope they don't also farm out code modification that way.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 10-18-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:28 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Maybe the admin is contracting with the assignment writing bots to answer for them. (So far, they've just been practicing.) Let's hope they don't also farm out code modification that way.
lol, Spike
Old 10-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3K1HR View Post
I think our dev just cringed... I'm thinking of Office Space where Peter's entire job is to sort through code line by line and make it Y2K compliant.

Seriously though, its interesting to see the max hit. An alternative would be to add a "You exceeded the developer's expectations" Trophy for 4-figure averages.
Obviously, for individual games, they're able to handle 4 digit scores (and they must be stored internally that way). Like you, I'd guess that they didn't expect anyone like Megaword (and others who will follow). The whole site will probably explode if anyone ever breaks 10000. I just assume that some display boxes aren't large enough to allow for these, so there's a cutoff. (The 999.999 is just an "overflow" indicator.)

Anyway, there are obviously glitches in the "Lifetime" stats too. I have no idea how they come up with some of their figures. (If I buy the total number of games & points for Spike1005, I come to a 19.52 points per game, which is what they get. However, it also says that I have an average of 7.05 words per game, which comes out to about 2.78 points per word. I'm not sure how you do that in 5x5, with a minimum word score of 3. Maybe I qualify for a trophy for smallest average number of points/word?)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 10-18-2017 at 10:23 AM.