Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
Aaaaugh. I saw "ENCEPHALO-" within the first 15 seconds, spent the entire time looking for the word that started with those letters while scoring very little, and ended up with only about 200 points... then saw ENCEPHALOMYELITIC just as time ran out.

The record for that board was 8 letters -- or shorter than the prefix I spotted quickly.
Earlier today, I saw ELECTROENCEPHALOGRAPHIES, I think. Unfortunately, I was playing as Spike1007, and there. I only want new records. I was torn though, because I was the one who found it before, and it would have definitely helped my average. I ended up tossing it. I never would have gotten ENCEPHALOMYELITIC .

Last edited by Spike1007 : 10-07-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:50 AM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default Missed words

Found PSYCHONEUROIMMUNOLOGICAL (24 letters) months ago just after finishing the puzzle. I kept trying the wrong order or something, like NEUROPSYCHO---. Have yet to see that one found on the leaderboard. Also months ago I found HYDROCHLOROFLUOROCARBONS (24 letters), but the game would not accept the word. I tried several times thinking I mistyped it. I noticed that someone has found the singular this month, perhaps only the singular is acceptable, has been the case with other words.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:59 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I think I went through the same thing you did with PSYCHONEUROIMMUNOLOGICAL, trying pieces in different orders. I thought I found & got that on a later board, but I could just be dreaming (or I'm thinking of a different form of the word). I also found HYDROCHLOROFLUOROCARBONS, and kept retyping it until the time ran out. I did get that (without the S) on a later board. I tried the plural again without luck, and I'm convinced that's not accepted.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 10-15-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWord View Post
Found PSYCHONEUROIMMUNOLOGICAL (24 letters) months ago just after finishing the puzzle. I kept trying the wrong order or something, like NEUROPSYCHO---. Have yet to see that one found on the leaderboard. Also months ago I found HYDROCHLOROFLUOROCARBONS (24 letters), but the game would not accept the word. I tried several times thinking I mistyped it. I noticed that someone has found the singular this month, perhaps only the singular is acceptable, has been the case with other words.

Since the long words are so often seeded in, it feels really odd to find a long word that isn't accepted. Last week I found ICHTHYOPHAGE and it didn't count. I typed it several times to be sure, and looked at the board closely after the game to make sure it was actually there. (It was.)
Old 10-29-2017, 04:26 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

It has been a while since I visited this confessional thread. I could probably post something every day here but don't want to bore everyone with the high volume.
I made an egregious error last night. I had only managed to get TROPICAL as my best word so far with time ticking down. Then I spotted phil- at the top of the board. I followed where that might lead to and saw -anthrop at the bottom right. It dawned on me that PHILANTHROPICAL was there, a word I'd never seen in any game's word list or played before! Half way through swiping in the word, time expired.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-29-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:32 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I didn't actually find any great word at all in this game. I was too hung up on "ECHOENCEPHALO-" and couldn't find anything to go with it.
What did I miss??

IMG_20171101_162616.jpg
Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I went to lexic.us and typed in ENCEPHALOS.
Definition of Encephalos
1. n. The encephalon.
I thought adding an s might work since I did it with ELECTRO and it yielded an 11 pt score. I looked back on your board and saw that ENCEPHALON was also in it. Other than that, I don't see anything longer.

PS: Wow, in the Lexicographical Neighbors section at the bottom, everything started with ENCEPHALO-. I couldn't have imagined there'd be so many.

Last edited by lalatan : 11-01-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 AM

Zeno is an unknown quantity at this point

All I could find for echoencephalo- was -graph(y,ic), which is not on the board. What you did miss was RHOMBENCEPHALON(S): "Noun. The posterior portion of the brain including cerebellum and brainstem"
Old 11-01-2017, 05:14 AM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
All I could find for echoencephalo- was -graph(y,ic), which is not on the board. What you did miss was RHOMBENCEPHALON(S): "Noun. The posterior portion of the brain including cerebellum and brainstem"
Nice one, Zeno! Did you know what that meant before you looked it up? I find I have to look up a lot of the words I glue together to see what they actually mean.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:27 AM

Zeno is an unknown quantity at this point

I kind of knew that encephalon was the brain, but the rest was research. Every once in a while, after the game, I go to litscapes word ending dictionary to try to figure out what words might have ended with 'zabilities' (for example), and I get:
analyzabilities
autoxidizabilities
crystallizabilities
gelatinizabilities
generalizabilities
hypnotizabilities
magnetizabilities
oxidizabilities
polarizabilities
utilizabilities
So when I checked out 'encephalon', I got:
diencephalon
encephalon
mesencephalon
metencephalon
myelencephalon
prosencephalon
rhombencephalon
telencephalon
And RHOMB stood out on the board nicely.