Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWord View Post
Imagine writing with both hands at the same time, seems crazy, but isn't that what we're doing when typing, just in a more simplified way.
Not as crazy as you may think. A math instructor I had in technical school could simultaneously write 2 lines of text one below the other on the blackboard. He was proud to show off the skill.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-19-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I knew someone (also a mathematician) who, while teaching, could write on the board with both hands simultaneously (different things with each hand). I could probably do that too, although I'm sure nothing legible would come from my left hand, and my right-hand writing would suffer a lot.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 AM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default 2 handed writing

That's very impressive. Though, I'm sure he did have to practice. Guess his desire was strong enough. Writing different letters with both hands at the same time is much more complex than tapping buttons in different places in sequence with both hands and would take much more mastery of the motor coordination. There are some gifted people out there.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWord View Post
That's very impressive. Though, I'm sure he did have to practice. Guess his desire was strong enough. Writing different letters with both hands at the same time is much more complex than tapping buttons in different places in sequence with both hands and would take much more mastery of the motor coordination. There are some gifted people out there.
It was amazing to watch him do it. Undoubtedly it took lots of practice. He was in his 50's when I was his student. Who knows how many hundreds of hours he put in to perfect it? Similar to us developing our Boggle skills, I guess.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:43 AM

IgnatiusG is an unknown quantity at this point

Right-handed. I'm not sure how my skill with my left hand compares overall to that of others, but I did grow up batting and golfing both ways, and shooting left in hockey. I think the golfing is the only one that's uncommon though.

Lots of musicians here! I played violin and percussion growing up, but haven't played seriously in years.

I heard stories about a mathematics professor at the nearby university who could write with both hands, starting at both ends of the same line and writing to meet up in the middle. I wonder if such skills are more common among people with a penchant for mathematics.

Last edited by IgnatiusG : 10-19-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:17 PM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusG View Post
I heard stories about a mathematics professor at the nearby university who could write with both hands, starting at both ends of the same line and writing to meet up in the middle. I wonder if such skills are more common among people with a penchant for mathematics.
It may be more common among mathematicians, but not really that common among the ones that I know (and I'm a mathematician). Then again, the topic doesn't really come up that much. Maybe everybody can do it but me.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 10-19-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:00 PM

DonGuy47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also a mathematician, and I don't know anyone who can write with both hands simultaneously (but I don't get out much). I can barely write legibly with the one hand.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM

FireflySeason15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm mostly right-handed, but I remember being told when I was younger to just pick one hand when I was learning to write and stick with it. Apparently I kept switching. When I had trouble deciding, I was told to pick my right.

I played piano for about 25 years though, a few professionally, so I'm pretty much ambi. I also hurt my right hand pretty badly and had to learn to write and do a lot of things left handed. I think it's interesting how many people here did play a musical instrument or two.

One of my professors once told the class he'd practiced writing F's with both hands during the summer... to save time. That's the closest any of my instructors ever got to writing with both hands at once!
Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 PM

DonGuy47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflySeason15 View Post
One of my professors once told the class he'd practiced writing F's with both hands during the summer... to save time.
LOL!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Played piano, violin, viola, cello, trumpet, bugle growing up (father was a band director); former semi-pro baseball player (pitched right, batted both, sometimes played first left-handed). I am a (retired) mathematician and once wrote regular columns for a number of magazines and newspapers. I write better but slower left-handed, but it's mirror writing (very neat, though). Yes, I can write with both hands at the same time -- but not different things (I think that's probably not too hard to do). My wife's doctor is TRULY ambidextrous. He once was writing up some notes about her treatment when a nurse asked him to please write something about another patient. He did both at the same time using one hand for one and one for the other. I like to think I'm pretty good with both hands, but I'm not even in that league.