Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
I just played some really terrible games and then got lucky twice:
OVERCOMMERCIALIZING (39/19) new PR

NEWFANGLEDNESSES (30) new record after 31 plays
previous best word was 14 points
Great job McDonna! I see that your avg pts/word has climbed well past your goal of 12. Congrats!
Old 10-20-2017, 04:04 AM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Lalatan! I'm now trying not to enter any words with fewer than 15 points but my self-control is sometimes lacking. And some words are deceiving; I just entered PHYSIOLOGICAL only to find it's only worth 12 points. Dang!
Old 10-20-2017, 04:41 AM

Yup, when you go for the avg pts/word title you pretty well have to know the point value of words. Sometimes what you don't play is just as important as what you do play.
I was badly punished once when I played DEPARTMENTALIZATIONS (41 pts) and then thought I knew that DEPARTMENTALIZATION would be 39 pts. It was actually worth 26 pts! I had to abandon the game since it would drag down my avg too much. That was disturbing since 40+ pt best word games so seldom appear.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:53 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Yup, when you go for the avg pts/word title you pretty well have to know the point value of words. Sometimes what you don't play is just as important as what you do play.
I was badly punished once when I played DEPARTMENTALIZATIONS (41 pts) and then thought I knew that DEPARTMENTALIZATION would be 39 pts. It was actually worth 26 pts! I had to abandon the game since it would drag down my avg too much. That was disturbing since 40+ pt best word games so seldom appear.
I hate it when that happens. I'll sit & debate with myself about whether the word is still considered ultra-rare without the S, then either hold my breath & take the plunge, or just decide not to risk it. (There are rare times when the singular is worth more than the plural.)
Old 10-20-2017, 07:08 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I hate it when that happens. I'll sit & debate with myself about whether the word is still considered ultra-rare without the S, then either hold my breath & take the plunge, or just decide not to risk it. (There are rare times when the singular is worth more than the plural.)
Right... I find that quite frustrating. Not playing a long word when I see it makes my fingers itch. I've already decided to set my goal lower next month because not playing all the moderately good words or even new records that I'd set with a 26 pt word or something is killing me.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:26 AM

thinkbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I'm going for avg pts/word in 4x4 today. I just played a word in 4x4 for 20 pts: CONNECTEDLY. There was also DISCONNECTEDLY, which was only worth 16 pts. I remembered not to play the latter because I was scorched by it once before. If a word seems a little too common, I avoid playing it. For a high score, it usually has to be fairly exotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Right... I find that quite frustrating. Not playing a long word when I see it makes my fingers itch. I've already decided to set my goal lower next month because not playing all the moderately good words or even new records that I'd set with a 26 pt word or something is killing me.
Yep, it can definitely frustrate you. That's why I don't do it all the time. I take frequent breaks.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
That's why I introduced Spike1006 & Spike1007 (although I've all but abandoned 006). I change rules/goals for myself constantly. Since I like getting new best words, I decided as 007 to only accept new records (although that means that if I get a board with a previously played really good word, I'll play it to see if I can find it, but unless I actually improve on it, I throw it away). I do still like points though, so my threshold for what I'll accept has crept up over time. I will take 25+ point words, but I hope to offset them with enough longer words to keep my average above 30. (I'm currently borderline there.) As Spike1005, I have higher goals, but that's just to give thinkbig a run for his money (OK, and a little ego boost for me).
Old 10-20-2017, 11:13 AM

I just played COMPARTMENTALIZATIONS for 43 pts and 2 new records. The previous record holder played COMPARTMENT but went no further. Wow
I felt bad for him/her but it didn't last long since I achieved a new personal best for setting a new best word record. Woohoo!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I just played COMPARTMENTALIZATIONS for 43 pts and 2 new records. The previous record holder played COMPARTMENT but went no further. Wow
I felt bad for him/her but it didn't last long since I achieved a new personal best for setting a new best word record. Woohoo!
When I see that I assume they are fairly new, or else they found COMPARTMENT just as the timer ran out. Congrats on the new record!

I just played a board where the record was RETAPE (10 pts) but only 8 people had played it and the stats were promising. Found ORGANOTHERAPEUTIC (32). Must be time to walk away for the night!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:52 AM

The player with the previous record has been in the game for some time. He very well could have run out of time. It's just so ironic that instead of getting maybe 10 or 12 pts he could've had 43 plus the other pts for shorter parts of the word. I have missed many longer words by running out of time but probably none with that kind of pt differential.

That was some fine wordsmithing, mcdonna! I probably wouldn't have thought to pair the 2 halves.
I find that once I know a word is available, once I've seen it, I'll probably remember to play it in the future. But, of course, even then I'm sometimes wordblind and only see part of the best word, see it after time expires or possibly don't see it at all. It's a mystery to me how the mind works.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-21-2017 at 05:32 AM.