Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I once saw a woman on TV who'd write simultaneously with both hands and both feet: normally with her right hand, mirrored with her left hand, upside down with her right foot and upside down and mirrored with her left foot. She could only write one word at a time that way and rather slowly, using one sheet of paper per word (I guess writing smaller than that with your feet would be extremely difficult), but it looked very impressive. The results were legible, too (the mirrored writing looked normal when viewed in a mirror).
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
He once was writing up some notes about her treatment when a nurse asked him to please write something about another patient. He did both at the same time using one hand for one and one for the other.
and that explains why so many prescriptions doctors write are unreadable!

Definitely right-handed. I can do a few things left-handed nearly as well as right but it's pretty limited. I can't imagine writing with my left and having it come out readable. Maybe if I write real slowly and carefully it would be okay. With a few days to get warmed up, I am about as good (or bad) at swiping in words left-handed as I am right-handed but mice are easy!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Shouldn't all of you mathematicians be playing sudoku and ken-ken?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM

flops is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting that most play an instrument, and are strong with their left in many areas, huh. I call myself left handed, because that is the hand that I write with. I developed a problem with my left shoulder, so play basketball and netball right handed, took a long time to develop a backhand at tennis because I just had to forehand shots, but chose to write left handed in third grade because I liked the slope better (I have really nice handwriting, we had a Candadian teacher who only allowed us to use fountain pens). My parents are both right handed, yet my sister is very left handed (her right hand is almost a redundant piece of meat hanging off herr arm),
Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I once saw a woman on TV who'd write simultaneously with both hands and both feet: normally with her right hand, mirrored with her left hand, upside down with her right foot and upside down and mirrored with her left foot. She could only write one word at a time that way and rather slowly, using one sheet of paper per word (I guess writing smaller than that with your feet would be extremely difficult), but it looked very impressive. The results were legible, too (the mirrored writing looked normal when viewed in a mirror).
That is a pretty crazy and amazing ability. Reminds me of a show I watched about people born with no arms. They could do pretty well anything with their feet we can with our hands (brushing their teeth was one). It was trippy to see a guy making a cup of coffee and drinking it with his feet. The same guy played the drums really well. One gal in her early 20's took flying lessons and got her pilot's license!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
Interesting that most play an instrument, and are strong with their left in many areas, huh. I call myself left handed, because that is the hand that I write with. I developed a problem with my left shoulder, so play basketball and netball right handed, took a long time to develop a backhand at tennis because I just had to forehand shots, but chose to write left handed in third grade because I liked the slope better (I have really nice handwriting, we had a Candadian teacher who only allowed us to use fountain pens). My parents are both right handed, yet my sister is very left handed (her right hand is almost a redundant piece of meat hanging off herr arm),
You unleashed a stream of interesting conversation, flops. You just reminded me that when I played badminton I would sometimes switch the racket to my left hand and could make shots with it.
My mom was born into a family of 7 kids. 1 uncle was left-handed.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:41 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

My sister is the one in my family who is truly ambidextrous. (And it serves her well as a surgeon.) Right from when she started learning to write, if you read her handwriting it was difficult to tell which hand she'd written it with. The only difference was a slight difference in the angle of the letters when she wrote in cursive. And at tennis, she was equally good with both hands right from the first day she picked up a racket.

I'm definitely right-handed, I just developed good left side motor skills through music and sports. One thing about my soccer career: I think at least three-quarters of the goals I've scored in my life have been with my left. Defenders pay attention to which foot their opponents are using more, and try to force opponents to use their weaker foot, so my college coach always used to tell me and the other forwards on the team: you get at least one free shot with your weaker foot every game.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:53 PM

flops is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a neighbour who had a very pronounced stutter. She told me once that she started off left handed, but the nuns used to hit her left hand with a stick if they caught her using it to write, or as a dominant hand with cutlery and told her she would go to hell. In the end, she spent every school day with her left hand tied behind her back, until she became right handed.

I told her that I had read somewhere that this type of practice could lead to stuttering. My neighbour, Margaret, went to the local doctor on her 75th birthday, and repeated what I had said to him. He checked up on it, and told her he could arrange for some counselling which might help her resolve her stutter. Margaret informed the doctor that she would consider it, and let him know. She told him that, without stuttering. He pointed out to her that she wasn't stuttering. She never did again.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, the answers have been really interesting, and entertaining. I too, type with both hands!