Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
I didn't want to rub it in, but you held the previous record on that board, so it was probably the same one!
Yup, then I've no doubt it's the same game. Most of us are playing the same games within 2-3 days of each other, in my experience. So when I blow a game like that, I know someone will break the record fairly soon. (Sometimes I get a second chance. In 1 game I found ESTIMATION close to the end of the clock. Quickly tried REESTIMATION but it was invalid. Then saw under- but too late. 3 days later I got to play UNDERESTIMATION and set 2 new records.) I lose a few records every day so it might just as well be to you. I'm closing in an odometer-type milestone myself so am getting stoked about it like you did with yours. I'll let you know when I get there.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Yup, then I've no doubt it's the same game. Most of us are playing the same games within 2-3 days of each other, in my experience. So when I blow a game like that, I know someone will break the record fairly soon. (Sometimes I get a second chance. In 1 game I found ESTIMATION close to the end of the clock. Quickly tried REESTIMATION but it was invalid. Then saw under- but too late. 3 days later I got to play UNDERESTIMATION and set 2 new records.) I lose a few records every day so it might just as well be to you. I'm closing in an odometer-type milestone myself so am getting stoked about it like you did with yours. I'll let you know when I get there.
Hey, I appreciate your leaving me some good options!

Checked your odometer and yes you're getting close to 2k! Interesting you have more longest records than best score records. My stats are the opposite. Back in the days before the super-long words, I used to be really fond of the QU- boards.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:51 AM

Well, mcdonna, I made it to 2k each of best/longest words last night. I played the last one at 1:30 a.m. lol It took me 20 mins to get it. So this morning I had to get back the 3 best word records I lost overnight to get 2k best words again. I played IMPLICATIVENESSES, BREATHLESSNESSES and STONYHEARTEDNESSES so I think I should be able to hang onto those records.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Razorflame is on the road to greatness

When you play to get records in every category you can get records in, you lose way more records...I've lost over 1,000 records if I estimate the losses I've gotten over my entire lifespan of playing here. On average, I lose 5-10 records a day, if not more. I don't pay that close of attention to my 4x4 records, but I do my 5x5, and 5-10 records a day is my estimate of the average I lose in 5x5 daily.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 AM

I imagine there's more record attrition in high score and most words records since it seems more people are vying for those. I'm a best/longest word record hunter so I don't even look at my stats for those categories. I take a screen shot of my stats every night and I've found over the months I lose anywhere from 0-10 best/longest word records/day.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Razorflame is on the road to greatness

Quote:
I imagine there's more record attrition in high score and most words records since it seems more people are vying for those. I'm a best/longest word record hunter so I don't even look at my stats for those categories. I take a screen shot of my stats every night and I've found over the months I lose anywhere from 0-10 best/longest word records/day.
Some of those losses have come from me in 5x5...I tend to find a few a day.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM

I've managed to set and hold onto 4,060 5x5 best/longest words since May 8 this year, which is about 21/day on average. I accept that there will be losses every day and know I can overcome them without too much trouble.
I don't bear any ill will to folks who better my records. Just part of the game.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Nice work, lalatan!!

I did lose one of my 1000 longest word records, but I regained it this evening with VERACIOUSNESSES (22/15). Feeling frisky tonight.

I apologize, though, as you were the previous longest word record holder with ENSURERS. But you are still well above the 2000 threshold!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
Nice work, lalatan!!

I did lose one of my 1000 longest word records, but I regained it this evening with VERACIOUSNESSES (22/15). Feeling frisky tonight.

I apologize, though, as you were the previous longest word record holder with ENSURERS. But you are still well above the 2000 threshold!
Thanks! I remember that game. Couldn't find anything to pair with -ousnesses. I even thought, "Too bad that's not an o so I could play VORACIOUSNESSES." So close yet so far, lol. I'd have played VERACIOUSNESSES if I had ever heard VERACIOUS before. It didn't dawn on me that it could be related to veracity. Nice find mcdonna!
No need to apologize. You're welcome to better any of my records. It's my problem that I didn't come up with a better word.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks! I remember that game. Couldn't find anything to pair with -ousnesses. I even thought, "Too bad that's not an o so I could play VORACIOUSNESSES." So close yet so far, lol. I'd have played VERACIOUSNESSES if I had ever heard VERACIOUS before. It didn't dawn on me that it could be related to veracity. Nice find mcdonna!
No need to apologize. You're welcome to better any of my records. It's my problem that I didn't come up with a better word.
I wanted it to be VORACIOUSNESSES, too, and finally in desperation tried it with the E. Never expected it to be accepted, and it still looks wrong.