Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
Sheesh! That's a nice collection. I think my favorite recent find was MONOCHROMATICITIES (34).

I'm edging closer to Spike1007 in best average word, and feeling a bit guilty about it. He's playing by pretty strict rules and I'm just being an opportunist, going for any word I can find with 30 or more points. He could easily leave me in the dust if he chose to do so!
Don't feel guilty at all. Go for it! I still feel compelled to take most new words worth 26 or more points, even if they lower my average. My "strict" rules turn out to be a little flexible though, so I do throw away some 26 point words if I'm not that proud of them or the board has just been played just a few times. I won't go nuts there though, so I'd guess my average for the month won't be too much different from what it is now.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-18-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Sheesh! That's a nice collection. I think my favorite recent find was MONOCHROMATICITIES (34).

I'm edging closer to Spike1007 in best average word, and feeling a bit guilty about it. He's playing by pretty strict rules and I'm just being an opportunist, going for any word I can find with 30 or more points. He could easily leave me in the dust if he chose to do so!
Thanks mcdonna! You had a nice find there. Reminded me of a recent game where I had played PATHOGENIC for 2 records. Just after the game submitted I saw I could've played PATHOGENICITIES. Oh well, next time...
Spike is a laid back dude. When I saw what you wrote, I thought he wouldn't mind. And his subsequent post confirmed it. (He's conserving his strength this month for next month's battle royale for the trophy. lol )
Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 PM

flops has received several accolades

oooooh, a battle royale, I am so into battleroyalenesseses, can't wait!
Old 01-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
oooooh, a battle royale, I am so into battleroyalenesseses, can't wait!
I will sit on the sidelines and cheer the battlers royale!
Old 01-19-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I will sit on the sidelines and cheer the battlers royale!
No, no, no. You are supposed to enter the fray with us.
When I said battle royale I was probably a little overdramatic.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-19-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Keeps Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
No, no, no. You are supposed to enter the fray with us.
When I said battle royale I was probably a little overdramatic.
Can't I just ask one of you champions to tie my hankie to your helmet? It's clean.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Alright. Up to you but you might get 3rd place.
Thanks that the hankie is clean. haha
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Sorry, mcdonna. I didn't mean to pressure you. It seemed like this month you were more interested in playing competitively. Of course you should play the way that makes the game fun for you.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Keeps Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Sorry, mcdonna. I didn't mean to pressure you. It seemed like this month you were more interested in playing competitively. Of course you should play the way that makes the game fun for you.
I am playing competitively this month but it's stressful as I'm really not in the same league as you, Spike, Kate, and half a dozen others. So I'm think next month I am going to try to turn off my perfectionist side and play any boards that have long ultra-rare words, without a minimum score involved.

Still happy to cheer from the peanut gallery!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 AM

Default I DID IT!!! Woooohoooo!!

This afternoon I achieved my goal of setting and retaining 1,000 5x5 best/longest word records in 1 month! It took me 25 days and 1,056 games played to reach it. I averaged 40 records/day during that time.

Toward the end of December I started to wonder if I could complete such a seemingly herculean task. My best month to that point was 867 records in which I averaged 28.9 records/day. I calculated to reach 1k records I would have to average 32.3 records/day. But I thought I might as well try it and see what happened.

I knew I would have to curb my propensity for scoring points as well as setting records if I was going to make it. I had to have good focus each time I played. As I began playing that way the last week of Dec. I noticed it was getting easier to spot words and set more records. Nevertheless, Jan. 1 I was a little nervous. But I put together 3 days of 40 records each day so I was encouraged to proceed. I wanted to reach the required daily average of 32.3 and failed to do so only twice. I went over 50 a few times and peaked at 60 one day. It was quite the odyssey!

I am going to continue going for it til the end of the month to see how high I can go.

(My stats on the left are 5,020 total for the end of December and the attachment on the right is for today, a total of 6,020 5x5 records.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg END OF DEC 2017 STATS.jpg (41.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1K 5x5 RECORDS IN 25 DAYS.jpg (58.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by lalatan : 01-25-2018 at 11:40 AM.