Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 04-13-2018, 05:39 PM

flops has received several accolades
Default when you go to buy one thing, and come home with another.

So, he goes out to buy a pair of shorts.

He comes home with a VW Transporter, which he then spent a week making a bed for, setting up a sound system, and writing a list of "other stuff" the Van might need.

The shorts are the wrong size. We went vancamping. He still hasn't exchanged the shorts.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:39 PM

but the bed has a levelling system, which is kinda cool.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I think the whole story is pretty cool. I just asked my husband if he'd be prone to do the same, but he said he doesn't know a shop that sells vans as well as shorts. He'd also take me along if he wanted to buy a van, but the bed wouldn't be ready in a week.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:13 AM

He is a bit like a kid in a candy shop at the moment. After years of a 1.5 hour commute, and minimum 8 hour work days, he semi (he calls it semi, but I would call it three quarters) retired. When he announced to the guys that he "does stuff" for that he would be "off the grid" last week, one commented that "he takes very good care of himself", which he was going to be indignant about...until I reminded him that he is 50, has all of his hair, a brand new shoulder (titanium with thirteen screws), doesn't get out of bed before 9am, unless he is going surfing, riding or kayaking, has no debt, and an AWESOME partner. His biggest problem at the moment is ill fitting shorts.

We had a big laugh about your asking yours if he'd be "prone" to do the same, and his response. I'm thinking mine can buy vans pretty well, but needs to take me along if he needs shorts. (My function would be along the lines of, "Babe, try them on").
Old 04-14-2018, 05:16 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

The van sounds like fun. (Not so much the shorts.) I have neither, and I probably won't find them on my list the next time I run to the store. I am about 2/3 retired, but I work at home. My "commute" consists of playing WordTwist for a few hours before it's time for work. (I'll be retired, more or less, by the end of the year. After that, my work will consist of occasional consulting trips to Germany, with a commute time of a day or so.) Anyway, your husband sounds like a lucky guy. I hope you enjoy the van, and manage to get him the right shorts.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:29 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I think the whole story is pretty cool. I just asked my husband if he'd be prone to do the same, but he said he doesn't know a shop that sells vans as well as shorts. He'd also take me along if he wanted to buy a van, but the bed wouldn't be ready in a week.
What, you've never heard of Shorts & Vans R Us?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
He is a bit like a kid in a candy shop at the moment. After years of a 1.5 hour commute, and minimum 8 hour work days, he semi (he calls it semi, but I would call it three quarters) retired. When he announced to the guys that he "does stuff" for that he would be "off the grid" last week, one commented that "he takes very good care of himself", which he was going to be indignant about...until I reminded him that he is 50, has all of his hair, a brand new shoulder (titanium with thirteen screws), doesn't get out of bed before 9am, unless he is going surfing, riding or kayaking, has no debt, and an AWESOME partner. His biggest problem at the moment is ill fitting shorts.

We had a big laugh about your asking yours if he'd be "prone" to do the same, and his response. I'm thinking mine can buy vans pretty well, but needs to take me along if he needs shorts. (My function would be along the lines of, "Babe, try them on").
50 was a long time ago for me. If I'd been lucky enough to retire then, with all my hair and with no debt and enough money to go buy a camper van when I felt like it and not upset my wife by doing so -- I'd have felt VERY lucky indeed. As it is, I retired about a year ago, and was working just part time before that. I still have most of my hair, but whatever muscle I once had (back when I was 6' 2" and 200 lbs, I had some) has melted and run down to my belly and I've gained almost 15 lbs besides. If I'd ever been as active as your husband, perhaps I wouldn't be in my present shape. But I'm not that active now and wasn't doing surfing, riding, or kayaking EVER. Frankly, none of them interest me and never did. Fly fishing, camping, and hiking -- yes.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:22 PM

It's good that you mentioned the fishing thing, because I have to teach him how to fish. Now that we have the van, we will be spending time on the river banks, and I haven't yet learned how to do NOTHING (he is well practiced), and I have discovered quite recently that I don't particularly care for things such as "scenery" and "landscapes". He is a mountain biker, and they like those things, and OLD TREES (which I suspect are just laying in wait to fall on us). So fishing it shall be...fly fishing sounds quite active (yes?). We take our bikes and kayaks, but there are large periods of time that would seem to be dedicated to, ummm...sitting, and ...looking? hmmmm. I prolly should have less coffee too...
Old 04-14-2018, 03:40 PM

As for the shorts, Spike, over here the image they portray is that of career change ....plumber ('s crack), or postman ('s mail slot) (it's a vernacular thing).
Old 04-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

kblickster is an unknown quantity at this point

Flops, if you are near mountain streams you need to invest in a gold pan. I pan for gold while my husband solves the worlds problems with the aid of his cabinet, dark amber ale, craft beer, moonshine, and his chief of staff, vodka tonic. I can't stand being still. Panning for gold is not very lucrative, but it does keep me occupied and I have found gold, just one little nugget and lots of little flakes.