Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 03-15-2018, 02:34 AM
Premium Member

kblickster is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw it this morning and neither worked.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:42 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Weird. I saw it again today too, and the plural worked (ultra rare, for 10 points). Are you playing 4x4 or 5x5? (Not that it should matter.)
Old 03-15-2018, 05:07 AM
Premium Member

kblickster is an unknown quantity at this point

5x5 - it's pretty common - I see it often. Strange that it doesn't work on every board.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM

From what they say, their dictionary (SOWPODS) shouldn't change. They do say that they update word usage stats, so something that's rare can become common (or the reverse, I assume). Anyway, I have no idea why a word would be accepted at one time or not another. (I'll find that occasionally, but especially since I go for longer words, I attribute it to my typing skills (or lack thereof)). Let us know if it works again, & whether you find some pattern.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:02 PM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

Huh. Somehow I missed this algorithmic discussion between Spike and bwt about exactly what I just programmed. I guess it was just as well to work it all out myself. Anyway, I'll have to read more carefully, but I'm pretty sure my solver algorithm is very similar to the ones you were discussing.

I make two trees: a fixed one for the dictionary, and a dynamic one for the board.

The top children in the SOWPODS tree are the 26 letters, with branches terminating at the longest word in the dictionary along that path. (Nodes are labeled as to whether they're a complete word, but the branch can keep going)

The board tree has the 25 spots (as a 2-D grid) as top children. As you traverse the SOWPODS tree recursively, you try to build a matching branch on the board tree. So if you had a corner like

S E
A T

your board tree would start at [0,0] = S. Then you'd scan through the top children of the SOWPODS tree, matching the S. Next you'd traverse the first child node of the SOWPODS tree, giving 'SA'. The board tree checks all adjacent spots, finding [1,0], and keeping track of the path. And so on, iterating recursively over all children, with the board tree and SOWPODS tree growing together. Every time a word is found, it gets appended onto the global word array, but the branch keeps growing until either board tree or SOWPODS tree hits a dead end. The recursion ensures you visit every word of the dictionary, while checking every board path very efficiently.

I did it in python, without even bothering to optimize for speed, and it solves about 10 boards a second on my old laptop, which should be fine even when I'm doing a big Monte Carlo calculation. After all, there's no real benefit to precision once I simulate 10x more boards than I'll ever play in a lifetime.

Last edited by erakis17 : 04-15-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:46 PM

I'm impressed. It looks like you went further than what we discussed. (And of course bwt had the right idea, starting from the dictionary to see what was on the board. I was trying to go the other (horrendously expensive) way.) Anyway, taking advantage of a tree structure in SOWPODS makes things much much more efficient (so that you can just abandon unproductive branches, whether on the board or in SOWPODS, early).

Last edited by Spike1007 : 04-16-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Nylimb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
From what they say, their dictionary (SOWPODS) shouldn't change.
SOWPODS is no longer the full word list that's used here. It was originally designed for Scrabble, so it only has words with at most 15 letters. In December 2015, the Wordtwist word list was updated to include longer words, and many shorter ones that aren't in SOWPODS. At the same time, the set of Wordtwist boards was replaced, introducing many that have longer words. I think the longest words that anyone has found have 24 letters.

I don't know where the new word list came from, or if it's available online somewhere.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 AM

I'm sure that no one has found a 25 letter word in 5x5. It looks like this site sends you to lexic.us when you click on the dictionary link. It's decent on longer (15+ letter) words, but I've scored with at least one that didn't show up there.