Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default Points per word exploit

I thought about it and had to see if it was true. I quickly submitted 50 games without getting any words. Then on the last game I found one 24 point word on 4x4 with a different profile (WordLegend). It worked, ha ha. Top of the board just like that. But I'll probably knock it back down since it's silly.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWord View Post
I thought about it and had to see if it was true. I quickly submitted 50 games without getting any words. Then on the last game I found one 24 point word on 4x4 with a different profile (WordLegend). It worked, ha ha. Top of the board just like that. But I'll probably knock it back down since it's silly.
You're right & that's a definite loophole/exploit. Those of going for highest average points per word kind of play on the honor system. I think lalatan suggested that should be a minimum limit on the number of words (rather than just games) to qualify, but there's nothing to enforce that.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 PM

flops is an unknown quantity at this point

Did I mention that, (apart from many forms of punctuation), I am a big fan of algorithms too?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I'd call for an average of 1 word per game as a minimum requirement to even get listed, but I know it's possible to accidentally slip below that when hunting for long words only. A minimum of 0.5 words per game should make exploiting that particular loophole more difficult and wouldn't impede honest players.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 AM

F3K1HR is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree it is an exploit. I took advantage of it on the 5x5's for a few months, I just got addicted to the search for long words. I have two 1st place for average word trophies that I don't really deserve.

I don't think the 0.5 WPG fix would really do it though, crazykate. I just looked for games where big words had already been found and tried to get them myself. I was well above 0.5. I even got bored searching for games for high scoring best words and wrote and excel macro to search games to find best words above a certain level. Not my proudest moment, I felt guilty and stopped.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:12 AM

I prefer finding new longest or best words on a board, but I'm definitely not above matching the existing best, if it's good for my average. Depending on what you're shooting for though, it can take a lot of clicking just to find one. Without an excel macro or something, the boredom factor alone acts as a deterrent there. (I'd rather spend my time looking for new words, even without finding them, than just clicking mindlessly.)

I've occasionally wondered about the percentage of boards that contain previously- found high-point words as a function of score. (How many do you have to click through, on average, to find a 38 point word, or a 40 point word?)

Anyway, re-finding big words on a board is a skill in itself. If you'd managed to automate that process (which I guess some have in the past)...
Old 10-11-2017, 04:51 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
Anyway, re-finding big words on a board is a skill in itself.
True enough. For me it took some time to develop. It's one of two things that motivates me to keep competing for the average points per word trophies through the boring times. I like the challenge of it. Also I like the trophies. It's about the only category I have a good chance of winning.
As some already know I also enjoy setting new longest/best word records and keeping them.
And, yes, it was me who suggested there should be a 25 word minimum per month to qualify for the average points per word rankings as well as the 50 game minimum.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-11-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
And, yes, it was me who suggested there should be a 25 word minimum per month to qualify for the average points per word rankings as well as the 50 game minimum.
I do like the 25 word minimum, although I have to admit that I haven't always quite lived up to that. If you get that, and throw away all but 51 games, that puts you at just under 0.5 words/game. (Just showing off my arithmetic skills here.) I often get much lower average words/game though. While playing through the boards, trying to find (and hopefully improve on) other previously found words, I can easily fail & curiosity gets the better of me. I'll let the board time out just to see what was found before.

flops, I like algorithms too, but that's partly an occupational hazard. (That doesn't help me much in WordTwist though.)

Last edited by Spike1005 : 10-11-2017 at 06:30 AM.