Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 06-30-2017, 04:24 PM

katrinaiceheart is on the road to greatness
Default Who ARE these people

So I've been playing this to pass the time for the past two weeks. Now I'm pretty decent for someone of my age at English and identifying words and patterns and stuff... but comparing my scores to other people's... HOW DO YOU GET LIKE THESE INSANE SCORES??? I wanna know are you human????

Sorry just needed to get that out there

And the other thing I want to throw out there: has anyone ever used the word defenestration in one of these puzzles? It's honestly my favorite words and I'm just a curious newbie
Old 06-30-2017, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Lol, this pretty much sums up how I felt about the game and its players when I started playing. However, it's not all about vocabulary and actively looking for wordds... When you've played this game a while longer, you take a look at some letter combinations and you just know what's in there. A lot of typists claim muscle memory takes over (for combinations like AETS, for example), but even when swiping, you certainly become faster at well-known combinations over time. Some of the ridiculously good players have invested a lot of time and effort actively studying word lists and memorizing high-scoring words. They've also been playing years, not weeks. Practice does make perfect.
Of course there's the occasional bot or cheater (unbeatable comes to mind), but a lot of ridiculously high scores are genuine.
As for defenestration, I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere and has probably been played a few times. However, it's always a satisfying experiennce to find your favourite words in a board, I hope you manage it!
Best of luck to you!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

This is the kind of game that, for me, is like no other that I've played. The words I use that score me the highest points are not words I've used on any other game. When I first started, my scores were pretty low, but 5+ years later, I've figured out certain patterns which have helped me really climb the ladder here. I'm still a busher compared to the real big leaguers here, but I feel like the practice and repetition on these boards have helped me get to the level I'm at now. I hope that explanation helps.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi katrinaiceheart,

Lol. Great post! IMHO it describes the way a lot of us feel or felt when first starting here. Some of the players are way, way out there, or up there, with their scores and the longer you play the more you'll see they are also very nice, encouraging, and helpful. (BTW: I get some really good words now and then, but I'm definitely not in that league)

Good games and good luck.
Enjoy!
TR