Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM

BoredInTheCar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you study words using a boggle solver?

Often I don't see ANY of the long words that are clearly lurking in a board, and I'm curious about what they are. It occurred to me that I could take a screenshot of interesting boards, enter them into a boggle solver, and use the list of words that are spit out as a learning tool.

But every time I open the boggle-solver site, I feel ... tainted, even though I am not using it to cheat, just to study (or, since I am not patient enough for the methodical study of word lists that could help me up my game, just to satisfy my curiosity about the interesting words hidden in the board).

What do others think? Rationally, I don't think using a boggle-solver as a learning tool is much different than noting the list of all the words that have been found, it's just a better list since it isn't missing any of the words. I would not look down on anyone else for using a boggle solver as a tool for becoming a better player. So why do I feel guilty if I look at it?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never used or even looked for a boggle solver site (I'd probably feel tainted too), but it makes sense as a learning tool as long as their dictionary agrees with what Wordtwist uses. For long words, there seems to be a certain pattern (wrong word, but kind of accurate) to the types of words they'll hide in the boards. Maybe the solver would give you a better idea of what to look for, or even find new trends in hidden words that others haven't found yet.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:01 PM

snsmithaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I use a boggle solver

I love to play this game but will never be as fast as many of you. I wouldn't want to do this just to teach myself to type fast. That would be a case of anoesis ("brain perceiving without intellectual understanding"). Instead, I input interesting-looking boards and see what they offer. Then I put the words that are interesting in a list with definitions for the ones I can't figure out.The list is now 50 pages long and has about 5,000 words in it. I don't always read the list over, but I've learned a lot about prefixes and scientific terminology. It isn't anserous ("resembling a goose; silly"), it's an opportunity to learn something. If I didn't care about the definitions, then I'd feel I was just training my fingers, and they're not particularly talented. (I probably am doing that, since I listen to books on CD while I play the game.)
There's no need for us to get in a collieshangie ("a noisy row, a brawl")--the beauty of this game is that it can be played by a range of people with a range of talents. If you like words, learn some. If you feel the need for speed, go for it. But if you want to know what you missed, you have to use the solver. It doesn't help me especially, even if I have recently seen the word. But I'm lots better at Scrabble now.

Last edited by snsmithaz : 07-26-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredInTheCar View Post
Often I don't see ANY of the long words that are clearly lurking in a board, and I'm curious about what they are.
I suppose there are numerous things a person could do to improve their play and it probably depends on how that person learns. For me I read the word lists that popped up after every game I played for months.

But I think the biggest influence on improving my play was to play LOTS of games. Like pro sports you can practice in a variety of ways but there is no substitute for game time experience. When the timer is ticking down and your brain is locking up, that's when game time experience can help. I played a lot of games purposely looking for longer words before I began to see them with any regularity. But maybe that's just me.

If you want to see big words, you have to care little about your score. (That has always been my problem. I want to at least get over 100 points every game. Can't seem to shake the habit.) If you're collecting points then you won't have time to start seeing the big words. You have to be willing to stare at the screen looking for prefixes and suffixes that go with words you've already noticed.

Last edited by lalatan : 07-26-2017 at 07:52 AM.