Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 09-24-2014, 04:06 AM

imworking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Boolean is a perfectly good word.

I say again that the dictionary used is not so good. I get to play a word like 'wastered' but 'boolean' doesn't exist. Every possible medical term seems to be included. Obscure chemical compond? No problem, it's there. Well, my latin is rusty but I've got 40 year old mathematical terms in my head just fine. Why not in the dictionary? Boo. And I triple checked, boolean was on the board.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

I'm guessing Boolean isn't in the SOWPODS dictionary (the one we use here) because it is considered a proper noun. (The system was named after George Boole, and the term is generally capitalized.)
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Whereas a curie is not capitalized. I wonder why George Boole gets to hang onto his proper noun but Marie Curie's must just subside into the pool of the impropers.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

A curie is a unit of radiation, like a watt is a unit of power and a tesla is a unit of magnetic force. They come from proper names, but now that they are units they are no longer capitalized. There are other examples, too, but I'm not remembering them at the moment.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I would distinguish between the system of Boolean logic, and the "boolean" which is a 2-valued data type (true/false, on/off, 1/0) in most programming languages.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

I'm not sure why "Boolean" tends to be capitalized while similar name-inspired nouns are not. Even the noun version, in the dictionaries I've checked, appears to use the capital B.

For those who may be interested, there is an interesting exchange on the subject here:

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...be-capitalized
Old 09-27-2014, 01:08 AM

ShirleyMarquez is an unknown quantity at this point

Boolean often doesn't get capitalized in computer science usage because it is the name of a data type in some computer languages. But that doesn't appear to have crossed over into mainstream dictionaries yet.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:19 PM

galelmft is an unknown quantity at this point

Some sources say that it depends on whether it's used as a noun or an adjective.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 PM

robertjack is an unknown quantity at this point

I have documented the steady spare of our Write my Assignment for Me UK democracy, but I did not realize the international banks, big business, and governments.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:21 PM

megan704 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by imworking View Post
I say again that the dictionary used is not so good. I get to play a word like 'wastered' but 'boolean' doesn't exist. Every possible medical term seems to be included. Obscure chemical compond? No problem, it's there. Well, my latin is rusty but I've got 40 year old mathematical terms in my head just fine. Why not in the dictionary? Boo. And I triple checked, boolean was on the board.

In my last semester, I had studied Boolean algebra and got Assignment Assistance UK to complete my projects. I consider that it is denoting a classification of algebraic representation used to signify logical proposals in mathematics.