Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 02-05-2017, 07:05 PM

mlwalton13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Mad Typing Skills

I have watched some of the videos folks have posted of high scoring games being played...and I just wondered, these people who get these high number of words must have some mad typing skills.

I practice my typing to keep it at an average level of 50-60 wpm. Just wondering if other folks have found that this helps (the typing practice). When I play on my phone I'm much, much faster (android). I can 'swipe' faster than I can type it would seem.

Just (ahem) typing out loud...

Last edited by mlwalton13 : 02-05-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Changing message icon to a smile
Old 02-06-2017, 07:12 AM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default My typing

In middle school I took a basic typing class and learned how to type, I never developed any fast typing beyond maybe 40 - 50 wpm there. When I began playing Wordtwist I couldn't get 100 words because my typing wasn't good enough yet. And I was a still a beginner typist as I was in middle school. But as I played the game more, I just got faster at typing mostly the same words and sequence of words over and over again. Wordtwist has been my only typing practice, hitting enter between words feels more natural than constantly typing the space bar. Naturally I've picked up more and more words through the years.

MegaWord was not my first profile either, it was "wordlearner999". I made a couple posts on that profile sharing my first 500 point, 100 word achievement. And before that I played without a profile until I began actually getting records, then I joined as "wordlearner999" so it would save my victories. In the beginning I only played 4x4. Probably helpful for 5x5, knowing more 4 letter words.

Using the smart phone is actually a good option for people that are not fast typists. I've managed 204 words on 5x5 swiping on the smart phone.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 AM

mlwalton13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hope for improvement

Thanks for your post MegaWord. It gives me hope that my typing might improve. Although, being in my mid 40's, now requires me to wear reading glasses in addition to my contacts, so my fingers might get faster, but my hand to eye coordination might remain a challenge.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM

jakartajane has received several accolades

I don't think I am an amazingly fast typist in real life, but I am very fast in wordtwist because I'm always typing the same things over and over. I can type "star rats tsar tars arts rast" and similar common clusters at lightning speed simply because I have done it so many times.

Also, the prevalence of the letter S helps to speed things along because I frequently repeat the same pattern. So if I've just typed, for example, "education," then typing "educations" will go faster than usual because my fingers are already primed to type that word.

I don't know if this makes sense to others or not, but I'm pretty sure these phenomena are behind my ability to type so quickly in this game.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:41 PM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakartajane View Post
I don't think I am an amazingly fast typist in real life, but I am very fast in wordtwist because I'm always typing the same things over and over. I can type "star rats tsar tars arts rast" and similar common clusters at lightning speed simply because I have done it so many times.

Also, the prevalence of the letter S helps to speed things along because I frequently repeat the same pattern. So if I've just typed, for example, "education," then typing "educations" will go faster than usual because my fingers are already primed to type that word.

I don't know if this makes sense to others or not, but I'm pretty sure these phenomena are behind my ability to type so quickly in this game.
It makes sense to me; all about that repetition. I can easily tell this when I play one of the new puzzles with a double L or any of the other new doubles that it really messes with my flow because I haven't yet learned a lot of the words around that sequence. It's a slow process and honestly I feel resistive to learning them. The new algorithm opened up tons of new words.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Razorflame is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWord View Post
It makes sense to me; all about that repetition. I can easily tell this when I play one of the new puzzles with a double L or any of the other new doubles that it really messes with my flow because I haven't yet learned a lot of the words around that sequence. It's a slow process and honestly I feel resistive to learning them. The new algorithm opened up tons of new words.
Yeah, I've noticed tons of new words being displayed in many of the newer boards that I've been playing....most of which haven't had too many long words on them. I've been very hesitant to play any boards that have very few of the common consonants because of their lack of being high-scoring boards.

Furthermore, if you have trouble typing at high rates of speed, using a mechanical keyboard might also help, though I haven't seen much difference between using a regular keyboard and a mechanical keyboard as of yet. I use a mechanical keyboard, and the only thing I've noticed is that it makes it slightly more prone to typos.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:20 PM

ChristManuel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to ChristManuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorflame View Post
Yeah, I've noticed tons of new words being displayed in many of the newer boards that I've been playing....most of which haven't had too many long words on them. I've been very hesitant to play any boards that have very few of the common consonants because of their lack of being high-scoring boards.

Furthermore, if you have trouble typing at high rates of speed, using a mechanical keyboard might also help, though I haven't seen much difference between using a regular keyboard and a mechanical keyboard as of yet. I use a mechanical keyboard, and the only thing I've noticed is that it makes it slightly more prone to typos.
Yeah, those mechanical keyboards are really making the typo chance a bit higher.
But I still love them. Even though I hate missing the buttons
Old 07-25-2017, 07:14 AM

DonGuy47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for comparison with the really good players, I'm an 80 WPM typist. The most words I've gotten on a board on this site is 116, which is not 80*2; so it seems there's plenty of room for improvement even without speeding up my typing.