Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 PM

novagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you decide whether to select a board with the potential for a good word that hasn't been found yet, eg, a board that has multiple words of 9+ letters according to the stats?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:05 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I like long high-point words, and I'll play pretty much any board with at least one 9+ letter ultra-rare word that could possibly be worth enough to keep (that is, raise my current average points per word). I could go by words already found, but I really like finding new ones. Even if a board has been played 50 times and the longest word found so far is 8 letters, I'll give it a shot. There, I seldom find anything worth keeping, but if I do, it's kind of like winning the lottery. Given that they often build long words into these boards, I figure anything is possible. (A couple of days ago, I had one board that had been played 29 times. The longest word found was 8 letters (for 14 points). It had 2 9+ letter ultra-rare words. I lucked out & got DIHYDROERGOTAMINE. Not that I knew the word, but I saw parts of it & played with it until something worked.)

Depending on what your goal is, I'm sure there are better strategies, and others will probably chime in to share theirs.

By the way, you can always just go ahead & start the board. If it looks too pitiful, throw it away & go on to the next one.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 06-26-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Since you asked the question about which boards to play, I've been kind of wondering myself. Like I said, I go for long & high-point words, but I'm pretty loose on what boards I'll play. When deciding, I only pay attention to the possibility of increasing my average points/word, I'm just over 33 now, so while I'll play a lot of boards, I'm pretty selective in terms of what I'll keep. Anyway, I do keep track of certain stats for each board (although that's mainly just so I'll remember for the three minutes I'm playing the game. My short-term memory has gone to hell.) For each board (as long as my cat isn't lying on my paper), I write down the longest word letter count, the highest word score (which may or may not correspond to the longest word), the number of times the board has been played, and the number of ultra-rare 9+ letter words. If I beat the longest/highest-point word, I'll write it down. Today has been a pretty good (actually, really good) day. Out of 31+ games (see the cat remark) I matched the longest word in 9 of them (although none were good enough to keep). I got new longest words in 10 of them, but only two were worth keeping. For the record, if it helps with your decision process, the stats (in the order listed above) and new words I found, along with their point value, were:

(9,14,43,1) FORMIDABILITIES (22)
(11,20,25,5) GENTLEMANLINESSES (32)
(8,12,48,1) COUNTERRALLIES (26)
(9,12,4,12) SUPERSPECTACULARS (32)
(11,16,47,3) DISEMBARRASSED (26)
(8,12,5,11) INTERRELATEDNESSES (27)
(6,8,1,8) NONCONCURRENCES (28)
(16,30,38,4) MICROMINIATURIZES (35)
(cat on paper) NONDIFFERENTIATION (34)
(9,12,18,1) OVERHOMOGENIZE (29)

You can kind of see that stats are all over the place. I'm a mathematician (but not a statistician) so I should be able to come up with some correlation. I haven't really, although it's not a big surprise that generally, the more times a board has been played, the less I can improve the high word score when I do. (By the way, with MICROMINIATURIZES, the previous longest word was MICROMINIATURISE. They might have been kicking themselves afterward.) You can also see that none of this requires a huge vocabulary. (We can't all be DrPlacebo.)

I always suspect that, if there are multiple 9+ letter ultra-rare words but the longest word so far is 14+ letters, but obviously not ultra-rare (hopefully you know the scoring system), I have hopes that I can find the word, add a bunch of letters & get a zillion points. That hasn't happened in recent memory, but I keep hoping.

By the way, I'd really like to hear from others who go for the long words on how this compares with their experiences.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 06-27-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one with four 9+ and played just a few times

(Need a crying smilie)

Better auto-finger control to the rest of you!
TR
Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

When I toggle between playing 4x4 and 5x5, it can be dangerous. I was playing 4x4 but thought I was playing 5x5 and saw a best word score of 32. I skipped over the second highest score available in 4x4 and then realized what I just did! So many perils to avoid.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
When I toggle between playing 4x4 and 5x5, it can be dangerous. I was playing 4x4 but thought I was playing 5x5 and saw a best word score of 32. I skipped over the second highest score available in 4x4 and then realized what I just did! So many perils to avoid.
It's hard to concentrate when your toaster is chasing you!

Enjoy!
TR
Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
It's hard to concentrate when your toaster is chasing you!

Enjoy!
TR
Lol TR. Toaster anxiety here is at varying degrees of palpablenesses.