Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Razorflame is on the road to greatness
Default The best in each category

I'm wondering what others think about who on this site is the best in each of the following categories of players and in general, your thoughts on this kind of thing:

4x4

High Score:
Most Words:
Longest Words:
Overall:

5x5

High Score:
Most Words:
Longest Words:
Overall:

Best combination of long word players and highest scoring/most words players:

Let me know what you think

My thoughts:

4x4

Overall: Brisul, Megaword, ThunderRock
High Score: ThunderRock
Consistent High Score: Brisul, ThunderRock
Most Dedicated: Megarock, 2xysters, danceswithlife, dannyb, sunheart
Longest Word: Aussie Mum, obhinoxious

I don't really have many insights into who's really the best at finding long words in 4x4 as much as I am in 5x5.

Honorable mentions go to Zolorbowl and Master of the Universe for Overall.

5x5:
Overall: Fasteddieb, ThunderRock, Megaword
High Score: Megaword, Fasteddieb, ThunderRock
Longest Word: Spike1005, pmoffit, Dasan
Most Dedicated: RussDNails, Hamster, pjs, LesMez, scheffek, quickotb, dixie, MrsOut
Best "Worst Board": Nafets, Eponine

There are many honorable mentions here in each category, and it would take too long to list them all, but here are a few: jakartajane, bookwormr, dsh2, and Estivate

To everyone not mentioned: It's not that I didn't think you were good enough to be on this list, it's just that I wanted to pick who I thought best defined each category.

Anyways, this also isn't meant to single out any particular players or say that anyone who are not these players aren't good, it's just an honest opinion from one player to the community.

Thanks!

Last edited by Razorflame : 07-12-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add more names
Old 03-29-2017, 12:14 PM

jakartajane has received several accolades

I especially admire people who play hundreds of games each month and make it into the highest levels of the average score list (I only play 5x5 so I'm not familiar with the 4x4 world, but I'm sure it is the same).

For example, as I type this, here is a sample from the current rankings:

RussDNails: 911 games played, with an average score of 714.247
jakartajane: 53 games played, with an average score of 803.647

Simply by looking at those stats, it is not clear who is actually the better player. Possibly jakartajane (me) doesn't spend much time on this site, blows away every game she plays, and really is a better player than RussDNails.

However, I know that's not the case. What is really going on is that I am extremely selective about the games I will even start, and I abort games that aren't going well for me. This keeps my average score very high, but it is only in part because I play well; it is also because I "game the system." The small number of games I have played is correlated with this; much of my time is spent flipping through games I don't want to play, as well as playing partial games that I end up leaving before the end.

People who play hundreds of games each month might still be gaming the system as ruthlessly as I do, but probably not. A retiree or disabled person who spends 6 or more hours a day playing could conceivably do it, but even then I'd expect to see their total number of completed games being in the low hundreds at most. When I see players with hundreds or 1000+ games played in a month's time AND a high average score, I know they are really, really good - probably much better than I am.

Last edited by jakartajane : 03-31-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

I agree with what you say jakarta. A lot of games played over a short period of time with a high average score really does show that a player is able to consistently be good at the game over a larger sample size. While this post is merely subjective (each person will have his or her own opinion on the topic), I believe that this could lead to a very intelligent discussion and debate about the state of the game on this site and the people that play it.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:22 PM

jakartajane has received several accolades

Yes indeed Razorflame! At present, as my own presence in the top-10 average score list shows, you can excel through a combination of "classic" skills (word memorization and finding ability, plus typing skills) and the astuteness and patience needed to game the system (or, to put it more diplomatically, play "strategically").

As long as we are being provided with stats on every board before we start playing, I think everyone who wants to perform well has to be a little selective in board choices. Even a super-champ like MegaWord won't be able to score fantastically well on a board that has very few words to find. But clearly, some people spend more time than others on game selection/aborting. Is that a bug or a feature? Hard to say.

As for me, I may actually have a shot at a top-3 trophy this month, but only because MegaWord isn't playing 5x5 this month, and I've had a particularly good run whereas dsh2 seems to have had a less successful one. I'm thinking that if I do get my top-3 trophy, that will be it for me in terms of trying to play competitively. Starting next month, I will just play every game that comes along, and play it to the end. My average score will plummet into the 400s, I'm guessing, while the number of games I play will skyrocket.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

fasteddieb is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking of trying a month of playing every game that comes along as well. Hopefully that will help me learn new words from the more challenging boards. I used to play only 51 games per month to get the top score. I was coasting along without learning new words and just going with 51-100 games while getting the highest scores per game and words per game without really improving. But recently after Megaword started to kick my butt I made a real effort to start learning new words again and now I can play much more games and still have a great average. But I'm kind of tired of trying to be selective and find games. I want to try a month of playing every game in front of me without aborting and see how it goes.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:13 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Megaword is #1. I look at the boards that Megaword plays and the stats achieved on those boards and then I play them. I don't come close. I get closer to the other top players when I play "their" boards even though I'm not usually in the same ballpark. With Megaword, not only am I not in the same ballpark, I'm not in the same league, I'm not even in the same sport!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:02 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
With Megaword, not only am I not in the same ballpark, I'm not in the same league, I'm not even in the same sport!
Same here. I would say the same about Thunder Rock. In fact, I can almost never beat "your" boards either. I might have done it once...once!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

There are so many different ways to play this game and so many things to go for...
I feel that AussieMum should be mentioned as getting a lot of the best or longest words in 4x4 boards, and Tjoeb sticks out as a player who manages to hold a lot of records in "bad" 4x4 games, like 60 words when the average is below 30.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
There are so many different ways to play this game and so many things to go for...
I feel that AussieMum should be mentioned as getting a lot of the best or longest words in 4x4 boards, and Tjoeb sticks out as a player who manages to hold a lot of records in "bad" 4x4 games, like 60 words when the average is below 30.
I'll also amend the first post to include Nafets as probably the best players that I've seen to play the worse boards really well. A lot of his/her scores on the worse boards are ridiculous, like 500+ points on a board with only 200-220 words to find.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

I added a few more names that I think deserve to be added into some of the categories:

obnoxhious into 4x4 Longest Words
dixie, MrsOut, and quickotb into 5x5 most dedicated.

I think there are still more names that should be on the 4x4 Longest Words list, but I haven't found too many other good 4x4 long word players.

dixie, MrsOut, and quickotb are consistently playing 500 or more games a month in 5x5 and are consistently getting 200,000+ total score a month, so I added them to the list.

Overall, I think that most of the lists are fairly complete now, and I hope that this helps any new players find people who would be able to give them advice and help them along in their endeavors here on this site.

P.S. : My auto spellchecker hates British variants of American words, such as armour and rumour XD It marks them all as incorrect XD