Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 08-30-2017, 06:19 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
Thanks to you, I just got that word (and on the same board).
Congrats. I recall that I also played chlorothiazide in that game but my brain wandered off to something else and I didn't even play thiazide.

Even though we are supposedly playing "random" games it seems to me that a lot of folks are playing the same games within a few days of each other. I've also noticed that when I'm looking for high scoring best word games, I never see so many new games (that I can't play at that time). It seems the programming wants to steer you away from making multiple hits on the server.

I just played a game where I equaled pmoffit's record of 36 points for AUTOTRANSPLANTATION. Then I played TRANSPLANTATION for 18 pts. Wow, that's the worst punishment I've seen so far for dropping a prefix or suffix.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-30-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assigning random games should be the easiest thing to do. I tend to see some patterns in the order of the boards I get, but I assume I'm just imagining things. (We're very good at seeing patterns in hindsight where they don't exist.) Until I run across a predictable pattern, I'll just figure that it's random. I'm open to any counterarguments though.

That is a pretty big hit for dropping a prefix. I ran across the opposite the other day (although the hit wasn't huge.) The original longest word for the board was FORESTATIONS, for 22 points. I got DISFORESTATIONS, for 18. (DEFORESTATIONS i might understand.) That kind of boggled my mind (pardon the pun). Sometimes dropping the beginning obviously adds to the rarity (like COMPREHENSIVE vs. PREHENSIVE), but that didn't make sense to me.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 08-30-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 PM

crazykate is on the road to greatness

In a game containing the combination NCH I tried out a few plausible combinations and found that FLENCH, LANCH and GANCH are actual words.
The definition of ganch immediately put a mental image in my mind from the old Prince of Persia game... The drop not even shift+w would save you from... Now I have a sound to go with the mental image. *ganch*
Old 09-02-2017, 04:04 AM

Late last night I was lashing my brain to come up with something to pair with -nesses. I finally found NEATNESSES (18 pts), then TEARINESSES (only 16 pts). Then I spotted SMEARINESSES. Played it for 22 pts and 2 records.

Then I thought, "What?? Only 22 pts? If pts are based on usage, I can't ever think of a time when I'd use SMEARY, much less SMEARINESSES!" Used in a sentence: "Oh, excuse me sir, you seem to have a lot of smearinesses on your shirt." Lol, this game is as quirky as wait time at the doctor is long. (A day doesn't always seem that long to me, wait time more so.)

Bonus coverage: Just saw INTERFEROMETERS (wth??) in a word list. Definition: An instrument for measuring small movements, distances, or displacements by means of the interference of two beams of light
No what I thought when I first read it. It seemed to be a similar device to TR's creep(o)meter. "Ummm, excuse me but my interferometer is telling me your words and behavior are little too meddling." Lol, English is as eccentric as my spinster aunts.

Last edited by lalatan : 09-02-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:44 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

I just got points for COROLLA.

It turns out to be a botany term:
"(An outermost-but-one whorl of a flower, composed of petals, when it is not the same in appearance as the outermost whorl (the calyx); it usually comprises the petal, which may be fused."

But I also looked up the origin of the Toyota compact car's name, and I'm glad I did, because that's even better. "Corolla" is the Latin diminuitive for "corona" or crown. Toyota's main full-size sedan from 1955 onward is the Toyota Crown, and it turns out Toyota's smaller main-line sedans have names derived from "Crown." The Corolla, a compact, is a "little Crown." (And the midsize Camry comes from the Japanese word "kanmuri" which also means "little crown.")
Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
I just got points for COROLLA.

It turns out to be a botany term:
"(An outermost-but-one whorl of a flower, composed of petals, when it is not the same in appearance as the outermost whorl (the calyx); it usually comprises the petal, which may be fused."

But I also looked up the origin of the Toyota compact car's name, and I'm glad I did, because that's even better. "Corolla" is the Latin diminuitive for "corona" or crown. Toyota's main full-size sedan from 1955 onward is the Toyota Crown, and it turns out Toyota's smaller main-line sedans have names derived from "Crown." The Corolla, a compact, is a "little Crown." (And the midsize Camry comes from the Japanese word "kanmuri" which also means "little crown.")
That took me back. Thought I remembered a Toyota Corona and sure enough there it was - another kind of "crown".

Enjoy!
TR
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Late last night I was lashing my brain to come up with something to pair with -nesses. I finally found NEATNESSES (18 pts), then TEARINESSES (only 16 pts). Then I spotted SMEARINESSES. Played it for 22 pts and 2 records.

Then I thought, "What?? Only 22 pts? If pts are based on usage, I can't ever think of a time when I'd use SMEARY, much less SMEARINESSES!" Used in a sentence: "Oh, excuse me sir, you seem to have a lot of smearinesses on your shirt." Lol, this game is as quirky as wait time at the doctor is long. (A day doesn't always seem that long to me, wait time more so.)

Bonus coverage: Just saw INTERFEROMETERS (wth??) in a word list. Definition: An instrument for measuring small movements, distances, or displacements by means of the interference of two beams of light
No what I thought when I first read it. It seemed to be a similar device to TR's creep(o)meter. "Ummm, excuse me but my interferometer is telling me your words and behavior are little too meddling." Lol, English is as eccentric as my spinster aunts.
Lol !

Trying to use smearinesses in a sentence just turned my 'boggleheadedness' into "boggleheadednesses".

Oooo. Wouldn't it be great if doctor's offices had "interferometers" that would send an automatic message..

"Wait time for patient 007 is code red. This office is in danger of overstressing patient and interfering in patient's life"

(I know that's pushing it , but I hate to wait too.)

Thank you lalatan,
Enjoy!
TR
Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
Oooo. Wouldn't it be great if doctor's offices had "interferometers" that would send an automatic message..
"Wait time for patient 007 is code red. This office is in danger of overstressing patient and interfering in patient's life"

Thank you lalatan,
Enjoy!
TR
lol, we should push for that. You're welcome TR.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:42 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
That took me back. Thought I remembered a Toyota Corona and sure enough there it was - another kind of "crown".

Enjoy!
TR
The Corona was a midsize, wasn't it? That would make sense, because the Corolla would then be smaller than the Corona.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

Default Another Berry for 20 points!

PARTRIDGEBERRY

Haven't looked yet. I wonder if it's a berry from a tiny pear tree

Enjoy!
TR