Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default Intriguing

I suppose this has happened to just about everyone 1 or more times but every time it does for me, I'm usually surprised. I played this board last month after the game stats showed that it had a lot of ultra rare 9+ letter words yet the best word record was only 16 points. I found DIAMAGNETICALLY for 28 points. I know that word isn't used in vernacular but it doesn't seem to be all that exotic to me. With so many excellent players on this website I'm amazed 50 pairs of eyes before me didn't see it. Not that see every best word, lol. I lose records every day and have to add more just to keep ahead.

But I wonder why we miss words that others see. It has caused me some puzzleheadednesses (a word familiar to 5x5 long word seekers) over the last 3 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 times played 28 pts.jpg (86.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by lalatan : 06-22-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Razorflame is on the road to greatness

DIAMAGNETICALLY is definitely an exotic word in my eyes. Considering that you were the only person to find it, and the fact that I had not heard of this word before you posted this comment proves this.

Great find

I'm surprised you didn't try DIAMAGNETICAL...I would have thought that would've been there

I had one of these intriguing word finds last month: PYROMETALLURGIES. Saw METALLURGIES on the board and tried PYRO in front of it, and it worked. Always happy to have that happen.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

That is bogglesome! Good word, lalatan

Why do we miss words that others see?
Why do we (ok maybe just me) miss words on one board that we get playing a different board?

No answer from here, but I do have a word for when it happens to me: boggleheadedness
and I hope all the dictionaries grant it “real word” status soon.

Hope you get a smile out of this one:

an hour plus later

So... no picture

How about just a cut-and-paste copy of part of the results?

YOUR STATS:
Total points: 230
Total words: 34 (12 common,4 wide,6 rare,12 ultra rare)
Best word: EXTORTERS (14 pts.)New record!
Longest word: EXTORTERS (9 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:
Played: 10 times
Average Score: 195.8 points
Average Words: 40.1 words
High Score: 337 points by klahowya
Most Words: 74 words by klahowya
Best Word: PITTERS (12 pts) by nannygoat
Longest Word: EXPERTISE (9 letters) by lalatan

The word we both/all missed was: RESORTERS

Lol! Only ten players, but we all missed it.

BTW I've played boards after you before.. 2 out of three times I'm looking at the results (if I didn't bail) and going "How did you DO that?" The 3rd, not as nice as above, but not as bad as "Duh"

Good Hunting and Good Fun!
TR

Last edited by TurtleRace : 06-23-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorflame View Post
DIAMAGNETICALLY is definitely an exotic word in my eyes. Considering that you were the only person to find it, and the fact that I had not heard of this word before you posted this comment proves this.

Great find

I'm surprised you didn't try DIAMAGNETICAL...I would have thought that would've been there

I had one of these intriguing word finds last month: PYROMETALLURGIES. Saw METALLURGIES on the board and tried PYRO in front of it, and it worked. Always happy to have that happen.
Thanks Razorflame. I heard the word in high school science classes. (A long time ago in a kingdom far, far away. lol Why I can remember such drivel and sometimes forget why I went into a room is beyond me! ) I did try DIAGMAGNETICAL but it was invalid. Just doublechecked that now.

Good find on PYROMETALLURGIES. I saw metallurgy on one game and paired it with hydro. It worked!
Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
That is bogglesome! Good word, lalatan

Why do we miss words that others see?
Why do we (ok maybe just me) miss words on one board that we get playing a different board?

No answer from here, but I do have a word for when it happens to me: boggleheadedness
and I hope all the dictionaries grant it “real word” status soon.

Hope you get a smile out of this one:

an hour plus later

So... no picture

How about just a cut-and-paste copy of part of the results?

YOUR STATS:
Total points: 230
Total words: 34 (12 common,4 wide,6 rare,12 ultra rare)
Best word: EXTORTERS (14 pts.)New record!
Longest word: EXTORTERS (9 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:
Played: 10 times
Average Score: 195.8 points
Average Words: 40.1 words
High Score: 337 points by klahowya
Most Words: 74 words by klahowya
Best Word: PITTERS (12 pts) by nannygoat
Longest Word: EXPERTISE (9 letters) by lalatan

The word we both/all missed was: RESORTERS

Lol! Only ten players, but we all missed it.

BTW I've played boards after you before.. 2 out of three times I'm looking at the results (if I didn't bail) and going "How did you DO that?" The 3rd, not as nice as above, but not as bad as "Duh"

Good Hunting and Good Fun!
TR
Lol, I'm in agreement with you about boggleheadedness, TR!

I usually play for an hour late at night just before going to sleep. Sometimes I don't know why I bother. lol I KNOW my brain isn't working well. I recall 1 time where I didn't get a new record for a half hour and got frustrated. (But most of the time it is relaxing and fun.) I've told myself not to play any new games at that time but if I see one I play it anyway. Can't resist. I think I lose all kinds of records on those games. haha

Thanks for the compliment. I remember playing a 4x4 board where Aussie Mum had the best word/longest records. 18 points. She's the Terminator when it comes to best word/longest word records in the 4x4 world. I have seldom bettered her records. But that game I found CROSSBREEDINGS for 26 points. Lol, I was all exultant and puffed up about it for a while. Had to show my wife etc. That did encourage me to keep improving though. So I hope you beat many of my records for the same reason. I noticed you found UNREPRESENTATIVENESSES for 42 points this month. Excellent find TR! See, you are getting better!

Good Hunting and Good Fun to you TR!

Last edited by lalatan : 06-23-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Lol, I'm in agreement with you about boggleheadedness, TR!

I usually play for an hour late at night just before going to sleep. Sometimes I don't know why I bother. lol I KNOW my brain isn't working well. I recall 1 time where I didn't get a new record for a half hour and got frustrated. (But most of the time it is relaxing and fun.) I've told myself not to play any new games at that time but if I see one I play it anyway. Can't resist. I think I lose all kinds of records on those games. haha

Thanks for the compliment. I remember playing a 4x4 board where Aussie Mum had the best word/longest records. 18 points. She's the Terminator when it comes to best word/longest word records in the 4x4 world. I have seldom bettered her records. But that game I found CROSSBREEDINGS for 26 points. Lol, I was all exultant and puffed up about it for a while. Had to show my wife etc. That did encourage me to keep improving though. So I hope you beat many of my records for the same reason. I noticed you found UNREPRESENTATIVENESSES for 42 points this month. Excellent find TR! See, you are getting better!

Good Hunting and Good Fun to you TR!
Thank you lalatan! That big one reaally sent me over the moon . I've played a couple more games after you since this post and it is a learning experience. You have a great memory for the 7+ point words. How DO you do that . It's fun to see. Looks like 5x5 really suits you as well as 4x4 ever did.

Lol. I play when I know I've slowed down and have distractions, too. Just love to play-- even when I shouldn't. and by golly-gosh I'm going to keep doing it - scores be durned !

Enjoy and good hunting!
TR