Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 07-04-2017, 06:09 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "The Stacks"

My play was off. Couldn’t find my own name if it was lined up on the first two rows of the board.

If that wasn’t enough - between getting knocked offline numerous times - my computer said it had a problem and shut down. All by itself!

Gave up trying to play and started looking up some of the words I missed and some that seemed interesting.

Then I understood

RESISTENTIALISM :
the theory that certain inanimate objects hate humans.

Cue theme music from the Twilight Zone....

Enjoy!
TR
Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I don't know why we insist on trying to make things smarter (and give them the ability to communicate with each other). We're just asking for it.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:46 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

LOL, TR. That's great post and a great word! Now I know why my computer hates me sometimes. Gotta go, my toaster oven is after me.

Last edited by lalatan : 07-04-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 AM

Ok, I got away.

Spike: I know, right??!!! Someday we'll be living in a deep hole in the earth waiting for the machines to attack us. All that could avoided if they simply didn't design such things......

I just realized I used my smart machine to communicate to your smart machine to post this note so you could read it. Now I feel like such a hypocrite.

Last edited by lalatan : 07-04-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Glad you got away from the toaster oven. (I just bought a new one, but I haven't used it yet. I'm not sure if it's smart enough to turn on me, but if it does, I'll take some encouragement in your escape.)

I think we're stuck with these things (both our reliance on the machines & our hypocrisy in complaining about them while continuing to use them). I'm not really anti-AI, but we seem to have trouble even foreseeing how "dumb" machines & computers can start to act or interact in unpredictable ways.

Sorry, I've been reading about the benefits & possible dangers of AI recently, so this has veered off into the much too serious...
Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
Glad you got away from the toaster oven. (I just bought a new one, but I haven't used it yet. I'm not sure if it's smart enough to turn on me, but if it does, I'll take some encouragement in your escape.)

I think we're stuck with these things (both our reliance on the machines & our hypocrisy in complaining about them while continuing to use them). I'm not really anti-AI, but we seem to have trouble even foreseeing how "dumb" machines & computers can start to act or interact in unpredictable ways.

Sorry, I've been reading about the benefits & possible dangers of AI recently, so this has veered off into the much too serious...
You should be ok as long as your toaster oven has no microprocessor in it. (In retrospect I should've picked a smarter appliance like a microwave.)

Yeah, I don't where AI is going to take us but I do know there will always be people pushing the boundaries as much as they can.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM

I actually bought the toaster oven for my cousin, but I expect to be using it. She insisted on the non-digital version (for reliability, she claimed, although there could have been a little paranoia involved). We may be safe (for now).

Last edited by Spike1005 : 07-04-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:13 AM

By the way, I see that thinkbig replied earlier in this thread, but I can't see his post here. Is he being moderated, or did his toaster oven get him?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:28 AM

Thinkbig and I are the same person. I usually try to use 1 username in a thread to prevent confusion but don't always remember which name I'm playing under at the moment. I play with different objectives for each username.

Haha it seems in this instance by trying to prevent confusion I created it.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanks, Maybe I knew that (or forgot it). It's a little weird that the post showed up as being from thinkbig, but you weren't credited that way on the post itself.

Anyway, I've thought about doing that myself. I just wish I could credit a game to one alter ego or the other at the end of the game rather than the beginning.