Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 07-04-2017, 11:03 AM

thinkbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
Thanks, Maybe I knew that (or forgot it). It's a little weird that the post showed up as being from thinkbig, but you weren't credited that way on the post itself.

Anyway, I've thought about doing that myself. I just wish I could credit a game to one alter ego or the other at the end of the game rather than the beginning.
Lol, that would be great alright. I did mention my 2 id's in another thread. The first year and half on here I played for points. Being limited to swipe, I saw no future in trying to match the typing speedsters here. I maxed out at 404 pts. I started having wrist troubles from swiping fast all the time so started up lalatan (that's what my granddaughter as a toddler called me) to play for best/longest word records.

If I stayed as my original ID I'd be in the top 50 HOF for scoring. But I thought, "If I quit playing today, nobody would even know I existed a year from now." So no big deal.

Last edited by thinkbig : 07-05-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Didn't mean to highjack your thread TR!

Here's the original post from TurtleRace just so you can see it in the feed (it was hilarious):

My play was off. Couldn’t find my own name if it was lined up on the first two rows of the board.

If that wasn’t enough - between getting knocked offline numerous times - my computer said it had a problem and shut down. All by itself!

Gave up trying to play and started looking up some of the words I missed and some that seemed interesting.

Then I understood

RESISTENTIALISM :
the theory that certain inanimate objects hate humans.

Cue theme music from the Twilight Zone....

Enjoy!
TR
Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades
Red face

I see and watch with some amusement and a lot of amazement all the different threads that get going with tough words, long words, volume of words etc. I'm awfully happy to see a thread started on the possible threat of AI!

Not that AI of itself is bad but how much of our daily existence are we gonna relegate to it. It's been proven over and over whatever anti-whatever screens we throw up, the more sophisticated hackers will find a way around them.

Car ignition systems that utilize smart keys have been compromised already so it's only a matter of time before a hacker can remotely take control of an unprotected vehicle and turn it into a 2-3 ton missile. (white hat hackers have already done it) So called 'smart' appliances are certainly smart. Smart enough that hackers can utilize them to spy on us if we don't lock them down. (admit it all you people who own smart appliances, did you read the fine print and change the password?) Smart TV's could be busily recording everything you do and say while your busily telling it what you want to see. And if it has a built in camera, say to play with a WII or some other game set-up then think of the hacker possibly watching you, or your kids, as they play.

And for those who decide they can't even think for themselves, there's Alexa, Siri, Google Assist and whatever other AI servants are available. There's probably as many help questions on how to stop those able assistants as there is how to use them! The biggest problem is they don't STOP listening! (and recording what they hear) If I had one of those things, I'd shudder to think what a hacker or snoop could do if they ever got into it!

Sorry to rant so much but when nearly everything I own is at the mercy of a few circuits . . . .

I must be getting old, time to hunt for some words!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 PM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I figure that's just a matter of time before someone berates us for going way off-topic, but I can't help myself...

It seems that the topics can be split into (at least) three pretty much separate issues. The first is "true" AI, where the self-learning computers, following programmed directives, self programming or whatever, go off the rails. (I figure that this is not an immediate concern.) The second is the loss of privacy by having our devices know where we are, what we're doing, what we're watching, etc. pretty much all the time. This might be intentional due to the software/hardware provider wanting to know ("to better serve us"), or hackers/governments/whatever just wanting to listen in for their own purposes. (Obviously a current concern.) The third is our over-reliance on (or addiction to) the technology (and the providers REALLY encouraging this). (Definitely a problem. Google has kind of replaced my need for a memory.)

Oh, and toaster ovens...

Anyway, I'm getting old too, and I kind of hope my older stuff outlives me so I don't have to get all the newfangled stuff. (This in spite of the fact that I've been more or less programming for a living since the '70s.)

Aside from all that, I really do appreciate what the technology has given us, like WordTwist, for example.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 07-04-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Another one from the stacks

WINTARD

WINdows keeps shutting down my computer

But it won't 'win' because I love this game!
TR
Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Yeah, I did get a little off topic there, my apologies to all! I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical since I complained about some of the very things I use and/or rely on.

I've often thought about setting up a second persona on here. I find that I could use a break sometimes, especially when my play isn't going well, and just swipe in words without any goal in mind. I only wonder how long it would be before I forgot which me I was playing under and accidentally sabotage whatever goal I was working on!

Last edited by pdiddp : 07-04-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries here guys!

and pdiddp I really enjoy watching your avatars

Hope everyone has great games today

Spike and thinkbig-latatan - watch out for toasters !

Enjoy!
TR

I think I heard my tablet talking to itself.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddp View Post
I only wonder how long it would be before I forgot which me I was playing under and accidentally sabotage whatever goal I was working on!
Has happened to me more than once!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post

I think I heard my tablet talking to itself.
Lol TR. I think my microwave is plotting to use my fingerprints to access my personal info and sell it. Better use gloves from now on.

Last edited by thinkbig : 07-05-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

In spite of anything I said about being hypocritical, simultaneously using a technology & complaining about it is not any kind of failing, it's a recipe for progress. If nobody used the technology, it would be worthless anyway, and something new would come along. If nobody complained, nothing would ever get better. (You just have to hope that those who are in a position to improve things actually hear the complaints.) We just have to decide when the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

Like everything else, Windows installations get old, and they occasionally decide to take naps. (In the meantime, we turn into WINTARDS.)

Anyway, I finally decided that a second alter ego was a good idea. In order not to confuse myself too much (hopefully), I chose Spike1006. I wasn't sure the system would accept something so close, but it worked.

Last edited by Spike1006 : 07-05-2017 at 07:59 AM.