Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 08-27-2016, 02:18 PM

Troglodyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheaters

Those of you who put the game board into a Boggle Solver, presumably on another computer, are not making the game fun. Sure, you get a gigantic word, but REALLY? You should be challenging yourself, not cheating.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:53 PM

BrimfieldOH is an unknown quantity at this point

greskogamer34 got antiradicalisms, but did not get antiradicalism.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:43 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Some people actually play for longest words. And yes, people have posted videos showing that it's doable. Especially with the new algorithm, which seeds boards with long words, the patterns become quite easy to spot, just by stringing together prefixes and suffixes. (E.g. -lessnesses)

Also, quite a few of the people who get longest word records draw from their professional or academic backgrounds. (Biochemistry in my case, for example.)
Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I'm one of those who looks for long words (mostly I'm trying to improve my average points per word score), and DrPlacebo is right that these boards are salted with many long ones. Often, if a big word kind of looks like it's there, it is, and if you find a fairly long one, it can be added to. I started out thinking that people finding the really long words must be cheating somehow, but after a while, you learn the patterns. Of course I can't tell you the number of times I've seen "graph" or "paleo" in there & have spent three minutes staring at the board fruitlessly trying to find THE word.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:15 PM

jakartajane has received several accolades

Personally I'm not that great at finding long words, but it's not hard to believe that it is possible to do without cheating. One way to improve your likelihood of finding super-long words is to re-read the "best words" list periodically so they are fresh in your mind. You never know - you might get the same board! It's happened to me once or twice.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:10 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Also, I'll add that some of the longest words I've found, I've found by guessing after seeing some but not all of the letters. I found BUCKMINSTERFULLERENE after seeing FULLERENE and then BUCK elsewhere on the board, and guessing that the rest of the letters were in there. Also, HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIAS, where I saw HYPERCHOLE- and then guessed the rest of the word was there.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:31 PM

translatorBJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimfieldOH View Post
greskogamer34 got antiradicalisms, but did not get antiradicalism.
If you're playing to get the highest average score per word (which I am at the moment too), you only type the longest word you can find, and not its shorter derivatives.

Also, even if you are playing for the highest total score, if you spot a long word just before the timer runs out, always type the longer one first, and then if time go back for the shorter one.

BJ
Old 08-31-2016, 01:45 AM

A problem with going for the highest average points/word is that you'd like to only type in those words that are worth more than your current average and skip the lower point ones. That gets tricky if you get a nice high-scoring word & hope that its shorter derivatives are still worth enough. Sometimes dropping the extra "-es" on a "-nesses" word, for example, doesn't affect it much, while other times it goes down dramatically. (I have seen at least one case where the value goes up though.) I've never quite figured out the scoring algorithm.

Anyway, my guess is that I'm about maxed out on my average. This is still Boggle (or Boggle-like) and I want to type in words when I find them. I just try to restrain myself if I don't think they have a shot at helping my average. I'm wrong often enough that I can inch my average up, only to bring it back down with a few wrong guesses.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 08-31-2016 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

One thing that's happened quite a few times: I'll play a board where I have previously found the longest or best scoring word, and then not find the word the 2nd time I play the board. C'est la vie.

Playing for total points is the way I like to play. No danger of me being a threat on the average points per word list. I'm lower in average points per game than most of the people in the Top 250 of the All Time 5 x 5 list, but I've played so much that I'm number 40 in all-time points scored.

Incidentally, and I've mentioned this before: I don't know why the all-time lists do not display the correct average points per game. To obtain the correct average, you can divide total points by number of games played, but I don't know why the software does not do this.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:44 AM

The first time I played a game where I previously had the longest word, I was horrified to realize that I couldn't remember (or even find) it. It happens enough now though that I'm used to it. (I did recently manage to improve on an earlier longest word of mine though, so maybe it kind of balances out.)