Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfaxer View Post
It's difficult to determine who is using software and who isn't. Unbeatable is definitely a cheater. 2xysters, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure is just really good at the game. One person I'm trying to figure out is ThunderRock. Does anybody know who this guy is? He's certainly played a lot of games, but I've seen several games where he has gotten literally all of the possible words (over 150) which just seems inhuman. Also, his longest word is "Otorhinolaryngologist" which I am calling bullshit on.

ThunderRock is real. Both an amazing player and person. I played another name for a few years a while back and got to know some of the players a bit.

Hope your games are going well,
Enjoy!
TR
Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

DonGuy47 is an unknown quantity at this point

"They're real, and they're spectacular."
Old 08-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Took me a little while to get the Seinfeld reference.(Teri Hatcher, wasn't it?) Thanks!

Last edited by Spike1006 : 08-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 AM

thinkbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfaxer View Post
It's difficult to determine who is using software and who isn't. Unbeatable is definitely a cheater. 2xysters, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure is just really good at the game. One person I'm trying to figure out is ThunderRock. Does anybody know who this guy is? He's certainly played a lot of games, but I've seen several games where he has gotten literally all of the possible words (over 150) which just seems inhuman. Also, his longest word is "Otorhinolaryngologist" which I am calling bullshit on.
I looked at ThunderRock's stats a while ago and concluded he's legit. Most of the cheaters listed in the hall of fame have ridiculous average scores per game. They usually only lasted <100 games. (Unbeatable was the exception to that.) I mean, really, what is the challenge of running computer code? ThunderRock is in the upper echelon (if not the best) of the blazing fast, visual memory players on this website and there are many.

After you've played enough games here, you will surprise yourself with what you've learned and can do. For instance: I've played about 25k games primarily looking for best/longest words. Last week, I played a 5x5 board with a best word record of 42 pts. I started the game, took a mental snapshot of the layout and after 5 seconds or so said to my wife, "The biggest word is INCONTROVERTIBLENESSES." (haha, she was irked cuz she can't do that.) I don't know how or why that works. Same thing happened today with REHOSPITALIZES. I also don't know how or why it doesn't work when I look for long words for 3 minutes and don't find them.

I learned from a speed reading course that our visual memory is much faster than our auditory memory. If you hear a voice in your head as you read, your top speed is probably about 150 wpm. That's the rate most people speak. (That was my rate when I was first tested.) But they taught me to force myself to move my eyes progressively faster as I scanned words across the page. Finally I had to read an article on a TV screen that was scrolling at a rate of 600 wpm. I thought, "This is insane; I won't remember any of this." I got 70% on the comprehension test. That's when I learned if you drop the voice in your head and trust your visual memory you can read much faster. I can read up to 450 wpm with over 90% comprehension but if I drop down to 375 or so I get most of it most of the time. Incredibly some people have learned the ability to read whole pages by taking a mental snapshot of each one as they slowly turn the pages. One person demonstrated it. Crazy!

Thinking back to my highest scoring games, I realize I didn't even think about the words I played. It seemed like they just came from my visual memory straight into my swiping. I suspect that is what's happening with the blazing fast typists on this website. Through experience, they recognize the letter patterns and don't even think about individual words as they type. (zolorbowl alluded to that in his post in this thread)

PS, I saw TurtleRace's post before I posted this and, if she says ThunderRock is legit, that's good enough for me.

Last edited by thinkbig : 08-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:08 AM

Long ago in college, I took a speed reading course and my instructor told me that I think somewhere around 50000 words per minute. No idea how that compared to others, and I was much smarter then. I also have no idea how that translates into visual recognition of words, but I assume that the brain can can process stuff much faster than we can type. For long words, I can sometimes see things right away. Other times, I have to look for parts & build them. Playing WordTwist & Boggle, I sometimes just "imagine" I see a word. That is, it pops into my head as I'm playing, and it's better to type it than to try to consciously find it & make sure it's there. With WordTwist, there's a much greater possibility that these words are really there than In Boggle. Anyway, I have to agree with the visual memory stuff & how it makes great players.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:19 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1006 View Post
Long ago in college, I took a speed reading course and my instructor told me that I think somewhere around 50000 words per minute. No idea how that compared to others, and I was much smarter then. I also have no idea how that translates into visual recognition of words, but I assume that the brain can can process stuff much faster than we can type. For long words, I can sometimes see things right away. Other times, I have to look for parts & build them. Playing WordTwist & Boggle, I sometimes just "imagine" I see a word. That is, it pops into my head as I'm playing, and it's better to type it than to try to consciously find it & make sure it's there. With WordTwist, there's a much greater possibility that these words are really there than In Boggle. Anyway, I have to agree with the visual memory stuff & how it makes great players.
Wow, that's impressive Spike! If I ever tried to think 50k wpm I'm sure I'd get a major brain cramp and go into convulsions. lol
I also use the technique of looking for parts and building words. I find it easier to do in 5x5 than 4x4. With a 2 minute timer I feel more pressure to come up with something. When I go back to 5x5 and the 3 minute timer, it almost seems leisurely by comparison.
I think you exemplify the term "wordsmith." Like a blacksmith, you keep patiently hammering, reworking and reassembling words until you come up with something good (like CLINICOPATHOLOGICALLY for 40 pts!). I admire your patience and abilities. I don't have the patience to do it all the time, just occasional sessions.
Congrats on finding NONREPRESENTATIONALISMS. I haven't seen that one before.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-10-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 AM

I never took the 50000 WPM too seriously. We normally don't think in words anyway (some, but definitely not all), so any kind of conversion is more or less meaningless. If 1 picture = 1000 words, does that mean I can think 50 pictures per minute? That sounds slow.

Anyway, thanks. I was pretty happy with NONREPRESENTATIONALISMS. I think I managed to add the NON- onto what had already been found. Today, I managed to get CYTOPATHOGENICITY, adding the CYTO- onto the previous longest word. You can call it smithing if you want, but it was really just a guess. (Same with the CLINICO-, but there I did have more hope.)