Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 12-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Never heard of that word before. Thanks for our word of the day.
The reason it took so long to try typing it in is that it really didn't look like a real word. I just finally gave up on finding anything else!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I only vaguely remember getting RETROREFLECTORS, but I'm sure I'd never heard of that before. Like you, I just kind of put it together. I've tried stupider things that worked, and a lot more that didn't.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:53 AM

By the way, I just stared at a board for three minutes, and at the end (too late to do anything) I saw ADRENALECTOMIZED. (I saw -ECTOMIZED earlier, and I tried a few things with no luck. I did get as far as trying ADRENECTOMIZED.) I checked the dictionary afterwards & it looks valid.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:44 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

After I struck out playing diopterous (not vaild) I noticed lepid- and thought LEPIDOPTEROUS is a word! But, out of time before I could get it in. Checked the dictionary. Yup, Adjective. Of, or pertaining to butterflies
I'm still occasionally surprised by all the weird words embedded in my brain. (I imagine the problem is much worse for many others.) Maybe it should remember people's names more often? I suppose it's like a hard drive on a computer. You always wonder if it's getting too full but when you check storage available there's all kinds of room left despite all the junk you have on there. I've read that about 35% of our brain is used, contrary to the popular 10% usage myth.
Ok, I better quit lest mcdonna thinks I'm metaphysicizing again.

Last edited by lalatan : 12-12-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
After I struck out playing diopterous (not vaild) I noticed lepid- and thought LEPIDOPTEROUS is a word! But, out of time before I could get it in. Checked the dictionary. Yup, Adjective. Of, or pertaining to butterflies
I'm still occasionally surprised by all the weird words embedded in my brain. (I imagine the problem is much worse for many others.) Maybe it should remember people's names more often? I suppose it's like a hard drive on a computer. You always wonder if it's getting too full but when you check storage available there's all kinds of room left despite all the junk you have on there. I've read that about 35% of our brain is used, contrary to the popular 10% usage myth.
Ok, I better quit lest mcdonna thinks I'm metaphysicizing again.
I agree with a lot of that. The 10% brain usage is a myth, but at least 35% of my brain is stuffed with words, or parts of words (and other mostly worthless garbage) that I've encountered. Like yours, it's definitely not full of people's names (or these days, for me anyway, pretty much any short-term memory). I'd try to defragment or delete unnecessary files, but then I'd probably be useless at Wordtwist.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 12-12-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I'd try to defragment or delete unnecessary files, but then I'd probably be useless at Wordtwist.
Yeah, we need a good brain defrag program to cut down on search time! haha
True, if we're going to succeed at this game, trade-offs will have to occur.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Keeps Trying

Dang! Found MICROELECTROPHORESIS ... about 30 seconds after the buzzer.

Previous best/longest was CROPLESS (14/8). I had the MICRO and the ELECTRO and PHO... but hadn't figured out the RESIS part yet.

Next time!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Sorry to hear about that, but like you say, next time... (I'm pretty sure I've gotten some -PHORESIS words (only because I've seen others play them), but it's not something I'll normally think to look for.)

I've had a few boards today with lots of good parts, but wasn't able to put anything together in time. There are a few times when I'll look at the board once I'm done to find out what I've missed, but mostly I just move on. I don't need extra reasons to kick myself.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
Dang! Found MICROELECTROPHORESIS ... about 30 seconds after the buzzer.
Next time!
That's pretty good you found it afterward. LIke Spike, I give the board a little bit of a look after time expires but don't keep looking until something comes up.
You will likely encounter the game again. It has happened to me multiple times in the last 2 weeks or so. Now I almost expect it to happen. Haha, but that could change as suddenly as it occured.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Keeps Trying

Thanks, guys! Putting together the pieces takes me a while so I figure the extra practice is worth it!