Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

MegaWord is on the road to greatness

fasteddieb
Quote:
I watched a couple of your videos and they have helped me to see some words I never knew existed. Thanks for posting those. It's been really helpful.
My pleasure

Brisul, best way to get that gold for average score is to go for just 51 games and only accept your very best games, seems like you could average maybe 730, that might keep ThunderRock at bay. Well, then you have to deal with me, who knows what I'll average. Besting ThunderRock would still be a huge confidence booster for you.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:51 AM

Spike1005 is an unknown quantity at this point

MegaWord, until I read your post, I wasn't even aware that accepting a game or not was an option. With some playing around, I realized that clicking on "Start a new game" & then "Yes" before the timer ran out would let you abandon the current game & it wouldn't affect statistics. Is there another way after the game has been played?

Last edited by Spike1005 : 10-15-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:31 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

If the game timer has run out and you hear the bell, it is POSSIBLE to still click on the "play" button and have the game not count. I don't know how much time you actually have, but it seems like it;s about a second. Sometimes the game counts anyway, though, no matter how fast you are.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:18 AM

Spike1005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I may have to try that. I'm still trying to pump up my average points/word. Once a few here let me know how things are scored, I thought that would help. I guess it does, to some extent, although I was still stuck around where I was last month. My biggest problem has been to judge the rareness of words, and it doesn't take many wrong guesses to drag my score back down.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G-nWff7lU0

230 words. 4x4
Old 10-16-2016, 04:26 AM

zolorbowl is an unknown quantity at this point

That was awesome to watch, nice work! It's interesting to watch different strategies applied, we go about boards in a similar fashion, but your vocabulary is far greater. Each one of your video's I watch, though, I learn more words/combinations so thanks for that.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

zolorbowl
Quote:
That was awesome to watch, nice work! It's interesting to watch different strategies applied, we go about boards in a similar fashion, but your vocabulary is far greater. Each one of your video's I watch, though, I learn more words/combinations so thanks for that.
Thanks, it's nice to be able to show my work and others benefited thereby. I'm hoping to beat my all time words/points record on 4x4 and have it recorded.

Well, didn't take long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz3CBQzZXT0

1,231 pts / 231 wds 4x4

Not my best performance. Surprised the score was so high.

Last edited by MegaWord : 10-16-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: New video
Old 10-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

ChillTomG is on the road to greatness

So as usual I'm beyond impressed at your ability.

I am genuinely curious, how did you get so good? And by that, I don't mean how you learned to type so fast (although that is impressive), but how you learned so many sequences of words.

Have you studied word lists made out of the common letters? Seeing the words you missed on boards you've played? It's one thing to learn all of the three letter and common four letter words, but to know the common combinations of 5 and 6 letter words seems not like something you can learn just by trying combinations.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

ChillTomG
Quote:
So as usual I'm beyond impressed at your ability.

I am genuinely curious, how did you get so good? And by that, I don't mean how you learned to type so fast (although that is impressive), but how you learned so many sequences of words.

Have you studied word lists made out of the common letters? Seeing the words you missed on boards you've played? It's one thing to learn all of the three letter and common four letter words, but to know the common combinations of 5 and 6 letter words seems not like something you can learn just by trying combinations.
Experience is the main thing, memorizing all the common words in the old puzzles. This was one of the old puzzles. Memorizing them comes naturally from playing a lot. I would always be pushing to break a new point barrier 700, 800, etc. And that drive would cause me to get better at the big puzzles and the smaller puzzles. I've studied some word lists, but there's so many words it only helps a little bit. Main thing is remembering these common words such as are in this vid, then typing them as quickly as possible. I also think fast typing helps me assimilate the words better. The more quicker and accurate I type the better my mind is at focusing on the words. If my typing speed and accuracy wasn't this good, my vocabulary probably wouldn't be as good. I simply have time to get more words, causing me to remember more words effectively.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjjmdbx5NI

1,291 pts 4x4

Guess I should just look for Brisul's records, he picks the very good points per word puzzles. This was so close to breaking 1,300. Surely I'll break it. My typing wasn't very fluid on this one, nervous. So much potential on that puzzle.