Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 09-07-2017, 04:10 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Nice Christmas carol reference and berrypicking job there TR. We have blackberries (I know, what a boring name compared to others, haha) all over the countryside here. They are extremely ubiquitous, productive, tasty and THORNY.

Last edited by lalatan : 09-07-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 AM

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Good find! A partridgeberry in a pear tree doesn't sound quite right though. Unless it grows in other trees, like mistletoe?

I just found another gem in a 5x5... I can't believe 45 of you missed THALASSOGRAPHER (28 pts.) I mean, it was right there! Glaringly obvious. And now I have 2 new records. (And no, lexic.us didn't have a definition.)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...thalassography

Edited to add link because I realized how lazy I sounded.

Last edited by crazykate : 09-07-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Good find! A partridgeberry in a pear tree doesn't sound quite right though. Unless it grows in other trees, like mistletoe?

I just found another gem in a 5x5... I can't believe 45 of you missed THALASSOGRAPHER (28 pts.) I mean, it was right there! Glaringly obvious. And now I have 2 new records. (And no, lexic.us didn't have a definition.)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...thalassography

Edited to add link because I realized how lazy I sounded.
Great find kate!
Plus you've completely outwitted me. Wish I could clear my head with a walk on the beach. I could watch the sea gulfs.

Thanks and Enjoy?
TR
Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I just found another gem in a 5x5... I can't believe 45 of you missed THALASSOGRAPHER (28 pts.) I mean, it was right there! Glaringly obvious. And now I have 2 new records. (And no, lexic.us didn't have a definition.
I must not have played that board or I would've obviously seen it. (lol, NOT) Good find. When I read such words the interferometer monitoring my mental processes maxes out at "boggleheadness."
Just curious. Did you also play LASSOGRAPHER, a person who studies the roping of livestock?

Last edited by lalatan : 09-07-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 AM

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I must not have played that board or I would've obviously seen it. (lol, NOT) Good find. When I read such words the interferometer monitoring my mental processes maxes out at "boggleheadness."
Just curious. Did you also play LASSOGRAPHER, a person who studies the roping of livestock?
You know, I didn't. But if I had, I wouldn't have been any more surprized if it had worked than I was to see thalassographer accepted.
It's funny, some of the words that seem outlandish or improbable at first but you try them anyway "just in case" seem to morph into completely plausible, normal-sounding words if you know the definition or once you've read them a couple of times.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Continuing on the -graph theme, today I was playing a board with not many available words on it. I saw -ograph in the lower right corner and started throwing letter combos at it. I thought of selenium and played SELENOGRAPH 20 pts and 2 new records! What??

Had to look that one up! Definition of Selenograph
1. n. A picture or delineation of the moon's surface, or of any part of it.

Unreal. English seems to have a word for everything.

Last edited by lalatan : 09-09-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
Wish I could clear my head with a walk on the beach. I could watch the sea gulfs.
lol, I enjoyed that one TR. At least if you got close to the sea gulf it wouldn't fly away.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Continuing on the -graph theme, today I was playing a board with not many available words on it. I saw -ograph in the lower right corner and started throwing letter combos at it. I thought of selenium and played SELENOGRAPH 20 pts and 2 new records! What??

Had to look that one up! Definition of Selenograph
1. n. A picture or delineation of the moon's surface, or of any part of it.

Unreal. English seems to have a word for everything.
Found SCENOGRAPHIC the same way: A perspective representation or general view of an object

When I looked it up, this one surprised me: SCENOGRAPHICK

You and Kate got it right. Sometimes it seems anything is possible. lol

Enjoy!
TR

glad you liked the gulfs
Old 09-10-2017, 05:01 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got FLIBBERTIGIBBETY for 30 points. I'd say I'm surprised that it worked, but I think I've had it before. (It did take about 5 tries to get it right though, since it's not a word I've seen a lot.) To start with though, the board just had way too many Bs clumped together to look promising, and I couldn't think of any other words that would work.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
Found SCENOGRAPHIC the same way: A perspective representation or general view of an object

When I looked it up, this one surprised me: SCENOGRAPHICK
Good find TR! That second spelling surprised me too. Reminds me of the time I misswiped TREK and played TRECK instead. It was a valid word. I then tried the same with DREK and DRECK worked too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I just got FLIBBERTIGIBBETY for 30 points. I'd say I'm surprised that it worked, but I think I've had it before. (It did take about 5 tries to get it right though, since it's not a word I've seen a lot.) To start with though, the board just had way too many Bs clumped together to look promising, and I couldn't think of any other words that would work.
That was quite the find Spike. I wouldn't have been sure of that spelling either. I'd heard the word before and incorrectly assumed it was jabberwocky. I learn something every day playing this game.