Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 11-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Good for you mcdonna! Nice find! I know all too well that I can be beaten. I do have dunderheaded moments. Today I played a board that had very few long words so I was pleased with myself when I found DISSECTIONS. Earlier I noticed mirco- but couldn't find any pairing for it. Right after time expired, I realized I could've played MICRODISSECTIONS! So I gave away those records.

I'm almost certain I tried the -cally word and it wasn't valid. My MO would be to spot cally first and try it. But thanks for the intel.
Yeah it was probably Wordtwist deciding not to accept it. Rats!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:17 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

CHUNDERS -- a word that I only knew thanks to Men At Work!
Old 11-18-2017, 01:14 PM

thinkbig is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking for the word pmoffit had played for 38 pts on a board today. I spotted RADIOIMMUNO early in the game but no -logies or such offered themselves to be paired with. So I let the game time out and saw the best/longest word record was RADIOIMMUNOASSAYABLE! I wonder how often that word is used in conversation, even among microbiologists or whoever deals with such things. He: "While I was doing some immunoelectrophoreses the other day, I thought that sample could be easily radioimmunoassayable." She: "I think you're onto something there."
(DrP will probably tune me in if something's wrong with that. haha Go DrP! )

Last edited by thinkbig : 11-18-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkbig View Post
I was looking for the word pmoffit had played for 38 pts on a board today. I spotted RADIOIMMUNO early in the game but no -logies or such offered themselves to be paired with. So I let the game time out and saw the best/longest word record was RADIOIMMUNOASSAYABLE! I wonder how often that word is used in conversation, even among microbiologists or whoever deals with such things. He: "While I was doing some immunoelectrophoreses the other day, I thought that sample could be easily radioimmunoassayable." She: "I think you're onto something there."
(DrP will probably tune me in if something's wrong with that. haha Go DrP! )
Oh, sure, I have those conversations all the time!

Today is a paleogeographic day for me. I played PALEOGEOGRAPHERS (30) in one board and a few boards later found PALEOGEOGRAPHICALLY (36). I probably wouldn't have put together the second one if I hadn't seen the first. Neither was a new find; I love it when the stats show that there really is a 30+ point word if only I can find it!
Old 11-19-2017, 04:03 AM

thinkbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
Today is a paleogeographic day for me. I played PALEOGEOGRAPHERS (30) in one board and a few boards later found PALEOGEOGRAPHICALLY (36). I probably wouldn't have put together the second one if I hadn't seen the first. Neither was a new find; I love it when the stats show that there really is a 30+ point word if only I can find it!
That's intriguing. I've experienced 3 theme days in the last month or so. I'd find 1 long word and not long afterward I'd find a similar or derivative word. Good for you mcdonna. I see your avg continues to climb.
I find that playing those games with high scoring best words is good practice. While playing as lalatan, I will often play those games even though I probably know the word. Seems to train my brain.
Thanks for the reminder to look for the co- prefix to add onto words. During a recent game I found ADMINISTRATIONS for only 14 pts. However, when I played COADMINISTRATIONS it upped the point value to 32 and gave me 2 new records. I like when that happens.

I seem to be increasing my ability to cobble together words heretofore unknown to me. The other day I found micro and paired it with seismic to get MICROSEISMIC for 22 pts and 2 new records. Then I tried MICROSEISMICITY and got 28 pts. (DISAPPROBATIVENESS, HYDROCARBONACEOUS, IMMUNOGENETICALLY, PERSPECTIVISMS were some others.) lol, English is so full of bizarre words.

Happy boggling to you!

Last edited by thinkbig : 11-19-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkbig View Post
I seem to be increasing my ability to cobble together words heretofore unknown to me. The other day I found micro and paired it with seismic to get MICROSEISMIC for 22 pts and 2 new records. Then I tried MICROSEISMICITY and got 28 pts.

Happy boggling to you!
Sweet! Glad the CO- worked for you, too. I've been adding more suffixes and prefixes to my list as well.

I know what you mean about cobbling together words. I haven't played much today but yesterday I put together RADIOBIOLOGICALLY and PHONOCARDIOGRAPHY, neither of which sounded like real words to me.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:52 PM

crackerjohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't find the word myself but was looking at a cluster of 4 Bs on a 5x5 board wondering how they could be possible all be put together in a 16 letter word. At the end, I saw that someone else had found "flibbertigibbety". Nice job whoever you are. I guess I need to read more...
Old 11-20-2017, 05:56 PM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that was me, or at least I found it on some board before. I had the same reaction you did: What the hell can I do with all these Bs?