Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 10-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I hate to admit it, but I named myself after my cat, Spike. (In turn, he was named after Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We named his sister & brother Link & Julie, after two of the people in The Mod Squad, but somehow couldn't use the name Pete. Too pedestrian, I guess.) Link & Julie are gone now, but Spike's sill going strong at 15+.

I was never a cattle dog, but while I was younger, I did have an amazing appetite & metabolism. I'm older now, but I haven't quite adjusted. I keep thinking that I can eat more than I can really manage. (Luckily, it hasn't really made me fat.)

I remember reading that someone once said that all kids, by adult standards, should be considered insane. I think that's a bit harsh, and was probably written by someone who didn't have kids (and didn't remember being a kid). They're just different, and as you said lalatan, still developing. (The perfect time for some selective customization!)
Old 10-03-2017, 12:03 PM

flops has received several accolades

The local news carried a story about a deer breaking into the local funeral home recently, they have cctv of it, it caused gathousands of dollars damage. The smell of humans, alive or dearly departed, obviously didn't discourage it at all. Took 'em ages just to make it leave.

They only tried the nerve agents because using explosive didn't really work, and was very messy (a bit like that whale carcass debacle). The nerve agents were a bit on the indiscriminate side too, and affected family pets, so perhaps sitting down with the town council and having a good chat about it would have been better, even if it was totally ineffective. That maintains the status quo though, because putting "town council" and "effective" in the same sentence would be a contradiction in terms.

The goats head is intact, and I prefer to think that it was natural causes that lead to its arrival at my ladder, and prefer to doubt the story that my not yet completely customised child has a dead eye (literally, as an entrance point) aim.

As for dangerous sons, you have my empathy there. My son once made a model trebochet for a school assignment, and handed it in "cocked and loaded". In the staff room another teacher decided to see if it actually worked. That was the start of a new OH&S rule, which sadly ruled that students shouldn't make working models, not that teachers should not play with other peoples stuff. The road out the front of my house is scarred from the inumerous sparkler bombs he has made and ignited.

Yesterday, after a store (named Platypus) wouldn't hand over his "click and collect" shoes, to his sister, after they asked for her ID (she has the same surname, and address as him), and an electronic copy of the email confirmation and receipt (she phoned him whilst she was standing in front of them to get it), and let's face it..SHE KNEW THEY WERE THERE AND WHAT THEY WERE... but then decided that they couldn't give the shoes to her because they might get in trouble...went and collected the shoes himself...he provided his shooters licence as ID. His intent wasn't to frighten them, but apparently it raised some eyebrows.

The only faintly disturbing christmas decorations we have had are a bauble from one of my students, which the child had quite phonetically within their considerable limitations, attempted to write "thank you" on (with a very unchristmassy result), and another bauble that the girls mounted an image of Miley Cyrus in a straddliing position on.(Think wrecking ball). I once heard Ms Cyrus say that whilst people might envisage their very musical family having a very musical christmas, that instead their is normally and argument about whether aliens exist, and someones leaves. Makes you feel quite happily normal, really.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM

I too, have never been a cattle dog, although I own one (Mud), he is very, very, clever. He is wine and bbq trained as well, so he won't take food off people, and he will bring his ball to you and put it in your hand, so you don't spill your wine or have to get off your butt to throw the ball for him.

LaLa is called LaLa because she had a basketball coach who couldn't remember her name, but knew to not call her "Aimee's sister". Some things just stick. Aimee is called Mimi because her siblings couldn't manage Aimee for quite some time.

I sent, some half hour ago, a text to the boy/labrador that would like to remain LaLa's boyfriend telling him to gain some impulse control, and consider whether he is a victim of circumstance or whether the fact that he is the only common demoninator in the drama that surrounds him might be a big hint as to why it happens. (the labrador thing comes from the sweet, goofy, big (he is 6foot5inches), overly motivated by food, taking for ever to train, but hopefully ending up well behaved and loyal, similarities between him and labradors.

Last edited by flops : 10-03-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
I sent, some half hour ago, a text to the boy/labrador that would like to remain LaLa's boyfriend telling him to gain some impulse control, and consider whether he is a victim of circumstance or whether the fact that he is the only common demoninator in the drama that surrounds him might be a big hint as to why it happens. (the labrador thing comes from the sweet, goofy, big (he is 6foot5inches), overly motivated by food, taking for ever to train, but hopefully ending up well behaved and loyal, similarities between him and labradors.
Lacking detail (and not being sure I want to know) and never having been the parent of a teenage girl with a boyfriend, I can only wish you luck with his impulse control. From what I see though, you're up to the task. Soon, you'll have him customized (and, for all I know, rubbing warpaint on his face and fetching balls without spilling your wine).
Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
They only tried the nerve agents because using explosive didn't really work, and was very messy (a bit like that whale carcass debacle). The nerve agents were a bit on the indiscriminate side too, and affected family pets, so perhaps sitting down with the town council and having a good chat about it would have been better, even if it was totally ineffective. That maintains the status quo though, because putting "town council" and "effective" in the same sentence would be a contradiction in terms.
OK, you got me on the "explosive" thing. Did they (or you) try that on individual (or groups of) rabbits, or as a general thing to scare them off? I have a house in Kansas, and they use a roving "crow cannon" there (basically a truck that goes around & produces loud booming sounds) to scare them from one neighborhood to another. Your description makes it sound like the former.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 10-03-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I went to Yellowstone in 1988 just before the big fire there. 95F every day. No clouds. (I know. For a person from Phoenix that might be a little chilly but for me it was oppressive heat. Lasted the 3 weeks we were there.) Finally on day 5 we saw a rain cloud coming toward us at Old Faithful. It went right over us but not a drop fell on us. It was evaporating before it hit the ground. (virga) But I really enjoyed it and the Grand Tetons.
They warned me at the gate about bison attacks. Every year there are 1 or more people killed by them there.
I went to Yellowstone in 1988 as well! What a coincidence. My only visit to the US to date, and I was 4. It was pretty neat though, a friend of a friend owned a cabin in the woods that had been there since before the area became a national park. We got our water from a gas station that was a few miles away, and we poured some water into a bowl from a large canister and would brush our teeth outside on the porch. There was no bathroom, just an outhouse. I was so scared of meeting a Grizzly on the way to the outhouse that I didn't drink any water before bed.

I feel kind of left out here, we don't have that much exciting wildlife in the area of Austria that I live in. There's a park nearby with ducks and squirrels and the occasional deer, but the flora and fauna in my garden is pretty ordinary. Blackbirds and sparrows and neighbours' cats, with some frogs passing through once a year.
I'd love to get a pet for my kids, but my husband prefers animals to stay outdoors. He also doesn't like France because he had a bad case of holiday-gone-wrong 15 years ago in Paris. I made him choose between getting a cat or vacationing in France, and he chose France, so we're not getting a pet at the moment.

I enjoy your stories though. I'm both fascinated and scared by Australia. On the one hand I'd love to visit one day, on the other I prefer having a healthy distance between me and the nearest deadly animal, so I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind meeting a Bilby though, they're cute.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 PM

Well, the labrador is certainly a work in progress, he even knows that we refer to him as the labrador, and why, and sent me a text essay, which confirmed that a, he is slowly getting customized and b. he truly lives up to the term of endearment (?) that has been bestowed on him. To meet training standards he doesn't need to be able to fetch (Mud does it, because that's his jam), but I would appreciate him not exposing my daughter to getting tech fouled and sent to tribunal at basketball (the three hours I spent there as a witness to the incident which they had on CCTV anyway, are three hours of my life that I will never get back (I was told that he only got a 10 week suspension instead of 30 because I was there on his behalf), flirting with other girls and then everyone snapchatting it to LaLa's sister, pushing another much smaller kid over for bullying his sister (for which he was suspended from school and sent to anger management (which he forgot to attend, which I thought was a pity because he could have got some impulse control tips there)). I am trying really, really hard to allow LaLa to make her own choices, but sometimes you have to be very firm with labradors.

Now the explosives thing....they tried blowing up entire rabbit warrens...hence messy...it wasn't to move them on, it was to REmove them....pity, because they are very tasty, but you just can't eat them as fast as they breed.

The not drinking before bed thing is perfectly reasonable, I think I would even wet the bed in preference to meeting a grizzly bear. A Great Aunt of mine was the headmistress of a 15 pupil primary school in the country. She lived on a farm, they only had an outhouse, and when we stayed there and needed to use the outhouse we always had to be accompanied by an adult who was generally armed because there were red bellied black snakes that like to warm themselves on the path and retire to the outhouse. Once that particular gauntlet was run, the next stage was to check the outhouse and particularly the seat and under it, for redback spiders. It always seemed particularly unfair to me because I was totally besotted with my then seventeen year old kinda cousin who lived there too. He was (and still is even though he is maybe over 60 now) really handsome, and charming. I was so embarrased I couldn't even tell him where I wanted to go, and would just say..."can you get the gun, please". We were at a family wedding recently and I excused myself from the table, he raised an eyebrow and asked if I wanted him to "get his gun".

Does your husband know about Calliou, Kate? That might change his perspective on Paris, you guys could go full Doris and Boris! You can generally grind husbands into submission on the not allowing pets inside thing, but the easier option is to make them think it was their idea in the first place. I am pretty sure that you can google how to do that.

They did try replacing the Easter Bunny with the Easter Bilby here, didn't really work though, Bilbies look a bit like charicatured mouse rats, and people just felt a bit unsettled with the concept of a cartoon mouse rat hiding eggs for children. They made a chocolate version, but we just kept buying bunnies and humpty dumpties. Maybe we are too traditionalist??

Strangely, all of the signs in Queensland where crocs are prevalent and quite hungry are in pictures, english, japanese, and german. I am thinking that maybe the german translation isn't so great because it's mainly german tourists that get eaten by crocs.The pictorial part makes it pretty clear though.

Maybe you could get a cuckoo, Kate? They seem waaaay cool, my mother has a cuckoo clock.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I went to Yellowstone in 1988 as well! What a coincidence. My only visit to the US to date, and I was 4. It was pretty neat though, a friend of a friend owned a cabin in the woods that had been there since before the area became a national park. We got our water from a gas station that was a few miles away, and we poured some water into a bowl from a large canister and would brush our teeth outside on the porch. There was no bathroom, just an outhouse. I was so scared of meeting a Grizzly on the way to the outhouse that I didn't drink any water before bed.

I enjoy your stories though. I'm both fascinated and scared by Australia. On the one hand I'd love to visit one day, on the other I prefer having a healthy distance between me and the nearest deadly animal, so I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind meeting a Bilby though, they're cute.
Wow, that is a crazy coincidence. My only trip to Yellowstone was that year. Your accommodations sounded pretty cool. It could be construed as sour grapes but I have to say that it's easy to romanticize such rustic living until you have to do it long term. I lived in Calgary until I was 13. It was a modern city with all the amenities and a population of about 350k at the time. Then my parents moved us to a farm 200 km from there. No running water for over a year and an outhouse. I was the water boy, pumping by hand to water cattle and constantly carrying it into the house as drinking/washing water and out of the house as gray water in buckets. We took baths in 3 inches/10 cm of water (no showers except rainfall). You had to heat the hot water in a giant pot on the stove and carry it in to the bathroom. Then you had to mix cold water into it, which you also carried in. Afterward I got to carry out the waste water. I could be wrong but I don't think a person has truly lived until they've had to sit on an outhouse toilet seat when the temperature is -40.

You first quoted me and then spoke about enjoying stories about Aus. I live in Canada and flops lives in Aus, just in case you got us temporarily confused.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Now the explosives thing....they tried blowing up entire rabbit warrens...hence messy...it wasn't to move them on, it was to REmove them.
Reminds me of a true story I read. A large dead whale (I forget which type) washed up on the beach outside a town in Oregon, on the west coast of the USA. It was really stinky and wouldn't decompose quickly enough. So they came up with the idea to help it along by blowing it up. They set a date and time for the detonation and it became a festive occasion. The turnout was good. They had a safety perimeter where the bolder folks took up their watch. Other more timid folks kept a safe distance of 1/2 mile. At the given time, the plunger was pushed. The air was filled with chunks of rancid whale blubber and body parts that rained down and coated the people close by and even reached the ones a half mile away. LOL It seems they had overdone it with the explosives. Apparently there was no manual on how to blow up a whale.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-04-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
The not drinking before bed thing is perfectly reasonable, I think I would even wet the bed in preference to meeting a grizzly bear.
I agree. I've seen plenty of nature shows about them. Even saw 1 from a distance in Jasper National Park. That was close enough for me. I watched 1 show where they compared animal strength and other attributes. Between encountering a grizzly or a cougar, I'd rather take my chances with a grizzly even though they are much stronger (they said if a grizzly were to swat you with their massive paw at full strength it would tear your head right off your body) and their bite force is greater. They have poor eyesight so if you stand still they may mistake you for a dead tree trunk or something like that. They may charge at you and then stop to see if you move. But if you stand your ground you might get away with it. If you flinch or run, you are considered food and will likely be pursued. It pisses me off every time I see in movies people outrunning bears. Not going to happen! They can run at 35mph/60kmh for good distances over just about any kind of terrain. The world's fastest human got up to 27.44mph for 100m on a hard, flat surface for 9.82 seconds.
If it does start to maul you, you might survive if you get into the fetal position and cover the back of your neck with your arms. It might think you're dead and will stop the attack.
Cougars are stalkers and ambush predators with good eyesight and sense of smell. They could be watching and stalking you for some time without you even knowing. Then they pounce and you don't know what hit you.
If that's too much info for some, I apologize. Thought it might be interesting to some.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-04-2017 at 06:20 AM.