Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 09-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I'm sure you're not dumb. I didn't think I'd ever be good at finding long words before I started actively looking for syllables typically occurring in long words, like -ISMS, -IZATIONS, -NESSES, -OLOGIES etc. When looking for longer words, I also don't play any shorter words at all, because typing or swiping distracts me from looking. ...

As for favourite words... I wasn't the first to find it, but just now I was pretty happy to get POLYSYNAPTICALLY, a word with 3 Ys (worth 30 pts)
That's really helpful advice, Kate. Likewise I never found the longer words until I stopped typing in all the short ones and just focused on putting together the long ones. And congrats on POLYSYNAPTICALLY!

I just found:

TINTINNABULATION (19)
TINTINNABULATIONS (20)
TINTINNABULATE (26)
TINTINNABULATES (28)

Someone had already found TINTINNABULATION/S but evidently the "ATE" ending is less common. I owe it all to Edgar Allen Poe and my high school English class:

"To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells
From the bells, bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells--
From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells."

Old 09-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking for long words does seem to be a full time job, although there are some players who manage to both get long words and lots of words. I'm not one of those. I do think it's good practice to try to match the longest word found, especially if it's 14 or more letters. There are, of course, some words that I'd never get in a million years, but most are at least built from recognizable pieces, although they're sometimes put together in unexpected ways. Not going for shorter words gives you the time to try them. Earlier today, I managed to get HYPERCOAGULABILITY (a guess), followed by INCONSEQUENTIALNESS (I saw SEQUENT & started adding at both ends) and BIOTRANSFORMATIONS. If you find a decent word, always look for what can be added. Anyway, finding long words does get easier, especially when you look for some of the patterns that crazykate mentioned. (I'm still working on it.)

Congratulations on TINTINNABULATION, etc. I'm not sure I've found that before.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 09-28-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 AM

garble86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Until now my best ever was 10 letters, but I just nailed a 13... DETERMINATION. Yay me.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
I just found:
TINTINNABULATION (19)
TINTINNABULATIONS (20)
TINTINNABULATE (26)
TINTINNABULATES (28)
Nice finds there mcdonna! I never heard of any of those words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Earlier today, I managed to get HYPERCOAGULABILITY (a guess), followed by INCONSEQUENTIALNESS (I saw SEQUENT & started adding at both ends) and BIOTRANSFORMATIONS.
Some fine wordsmithing Spike. I recently played a word I never heard of. I first thought I could play PRECIPITATENESSES but the first e was already used. I noticed tant so I tried PRECIPITANT and it worked so I tacked on -nesses for 32 pts and 2 new records.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post

Some fine wordsmithing Spike. I recently played a word I never heard of. I first thought I could play PRECIPITATENESSES but the first e was already used. I noticed tant so I tried PRECIPITANT and it worked so I tacked on -nesses for 32 pts and 2 new records.
Thanks. I've taken enough chemistry to know PRECIPITANT, but I don't think it would have occurred to me to add -NESSES. Good job! (I've also read some Poe, so I probably could have dragged TINTINNABULATION out of buried memories.)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garble86 View Post
Until now my best ever was 10 letters, but I just nailed a 13... DETERMINATION. Yay me.
Good job! I assume it won't be long before you beat that too. Once you accept that all sorts of words are hidden here, it turns into something like an Easter egg hunt.

By the way, I don't know about you, but I felt somewhat chastened by GameJay28's response to the OONT/attractive camel stuff. I guess I can be culturally/religiously insensitive (or just ignorant).
Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garble86 View Post
Yay you!

I remember being thrilled to get my first 9-letter word ... now my record is 17 letters but I keep seeing people finding 20+ letter words on boards that I'm lucky to find words half that long. There's just no end to the possibilities!

Latest find: AUDACIOUSNESSES (28 pts.) But I was actually more tickled to find FUGACIOUS (12), FUGACIOUSNESS (19), FUGACIOUSNESSES (22) on that board. I typed in FUGACIOUS just as a joke.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Congratulations on TINTINNABULATION, etc. I'm not sure I've found that before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Thanks, guys, you are two of my Wordtwist heroes!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Latest find: AUDACIOUSNESSES (28 pts.) But I was actually more tickled to find FUGACIOUS (12), FUGACIOUSNESS (19), FUGACIOUSNESSES (22) on that board. I typed in FUGACIOUS just as a joke.
I never would have thought about FUGACIOUS, although it does make sense once I looked it up. (Then again, like the monkeys with typewriters who could reproduce Shakespeare's sonnets with enough time, who knows? I'm guessing that three minutes wouldn't be enough for me.) Anyway, good find!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:59 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Thanks, guys, you are two of my Wordtwist heroes!
Thanks for that mcdonna! How pleasant of you to say so. I can tell by the words you are finding that you're well on your way to finding ever longer words. Just keep playing and learning.
I'm closing in on 50k games played on this website so I guess you could say I'm a late bloomer. I didn't really start finding best/longest words until I put in 20k games and devoted my study times to learning and looking for them.
I enjoy duking it out every month with Spike and whoever else wants to make a run at the 5x5 1st trophy for avg pts/word. (So far I've had the upper hand but that could change.) That's the only time I search exclusively for best/longest words (under my other username, thinkbig). Otherwise, I like to get some points as lalatan along with the best/longest words. Apologies if you've already read all that info.
Enjoy the games!