Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 06-01-2017, 07:06 AM

thinkbig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Woohoo! 2 first place trophies for avg points/word

After playing 43k games in a little over 3 years and studying word lists for months I got first place trophies for average points/word in both 4x4 and 5 x 5 last month. I won my first first place trophy in 4x4 last March.

At the beginning of May I decided to try 5x5 and see how I did. I really liked it. Surprisingly the skills I learned in 4x4 transferred to the longer words of 5x5.

It has been a long, slow but enjoyable climb. I don't know how long I can stay at the summit but right now I'm savoring the view. A year ago I didn't believe it could be done because of all the amazing players on this website.

Thanks to Aussie Mum, obhinoxious and pmoffit for inspiration and to TurtleRace for encouragement.

Congrats to all the other winners.
Enjoy the games everyone!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Great job! I slipped some last month, but I think your 5x5 average score would have beat my earlier tries anyway.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

YEAH! Yeah for you!

You worked for it and you did it stupendiously!

Bet you do again

Congratulations to a great and wonderfully boggly person!
TR
Old 06-01-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks a lot TR and Spike!

Spike: yeah, it's very difficult to raise your average significantly once you've played a certain number of games.

Last edited by thinkbig : 06-01-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

WOW!! It's tough enough to just get near one of the trophies let alone snag two top spots in one month!

Enjoy the hard-won victory!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkbig View Post
Thanks a lot TR and Spike!

Spike: yeah, it's very difficult to raise your average significantly once you played a certain number of games.
For highest average word score (as I'm sure you know), you really have to set your goals early & stick to them as much as you can. You have to be merciless with yourself, throwing away boards where you get great new words that just aren't worth enough (unless you're much better than I am & can make up for it). I think I'm backing off a little this month. I still want long & high scoring words, but I think I'll keep more of those boards where I get a new high-scoring word (at least if it's 25+ points or so) even if it'll lower my monthly average. I'll see if I stick to that.

Anyway, again, great job!

Last edited by Spike1005 : 06-01-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
For highest average word score (as I'm sure you know), you really have to set your goals early & stick to them as much as you can. You have to be merciless with yourself, throwing away boards where you get great new words that just aren't worth enough (unless you're much better than I am & can make up for it). I think I'm backing off a little this month. I still want long & high scoring words, but I think I'll keep more of those boards where I get a new high-scoring word (at least if it's 25+ points or so) even if it'll lower my monthly average. I'll see if I stick to that.

Anyway, again, great job!
For sure you have to be disciplined and it's hard to stay that way ALL month. lol
Sometimes it can get awfully boring too. I had to reject 317 games once before I could find one worth playing! I try not to count anymore. Haha Now if I think it's too long I just do something else.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 PM

I'm good at saying what we should do. I'm just not always that good at doing it. Also, I'm not that picky about what boards I'll play. I think I rarely skip more than 5. Of course that means that I end up staring at them for three minutes when I should probably have wandered off to do something more productive.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddp View Post
WOW!! It's tough enough to just get near one of the trophies let alone snag two top spots in one month!

Enjoy the hard-won victory!
Thanks pdiddp
Old 07-01-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post

Bet you do again

Congratulations to a great and wonderfully boggly person!
TR
Yup, I did it again TR, just like you predicted. I got first place trophies for average points/word in both 4x4 and 5x5. I had to use my original username, ibme54, for 5x5 since I messed up my average on this ID. Would have been way too hard to get from 21 to 38 pts/word again.

I set a new record in 4x4 of 21.615 points/word. I wanted to see how high I could go. Nobody got over 20 pts/word for the last 14 months. (That's as far back as I could go.)
So I'm feeling pretty good.

Last edited by thinkbig : 07-01-2017 at 06:10 AM.