Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 03-12-2017, 04:12 AM
Premium Member

Razorflame is on the road to greatness
Default How to improve

I've been playing for a while and would like some tips on how to improve my game here on WordTwist. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:59 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

learn the ultra-rare words. Six points for a three letter word is more efficient than a six letter common word that scores five points. Look for the K,Z,Q,X and J words and combos. Look for the "quick typing" combos: EATS, SERES, SEIR, SAIR etc. The EATS combo is worth something like 86 points.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

I probably should've mentioned that I was looking for tips for the 5x5 board...thanks for the help danny
Old 03-12-2017, 11:02 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I go for long/high-point words, so take any advice I give with a grain of salt. (The time spent looking for those could probably be better used finding & typing in more smaller words for better effect.) There are lots of letter combinations that often indicate a longer word is there. No doubt you've run across those & know some already. Off the top of my head, some are PSYCHO, NEURO, IMMUNO, PHYSIO, ABILITY ABILITIES, LOGY, LOGIES, (obviously) NESSES, GRAPHY, GRAPHIES, PHOTO, MICRO (if you find this, look for a preceeding SUB), OVER, UNDER, ELECTRO, MAGNETO.. OK, I've run out of ideas, but there are lots more.

Now, if you could get megaword to share his secrets...

I think dannyb's hints are still relevant. If you find a cluster of letters that have yielded a large combination of words/points before, especially some rare words, then load that into your mental buffer & type like a bat out of hell, whether you see the words or not. I assume that you'll get to the point where you can type while still looking for other words or promising letter combinations. I don't remember if you posted in the "How many hours.." thread, but I assume that a lot comes with time, experience & practice.

For rare words, look over the word lists for boards you've just played & see what you missed (especially those that have been played a lot). Some will stick in your head. (It's surprising how often they like to put SMOUSES in there, although I don't remember if that's rare.)

Last edited by Spike1005 : 03-12-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I've already come across a lot of those suffixes and prefixes, and yes, I posted in the How many hours... thread.

The main reason why I posted this thread was because I've been stalled in my abilities for the past month. I haven't gotten any higher scoring games or more word games in either 4x4 or 5x5 since mid-February...

I've found that I get overwhelmed if the board is good and has a lot of words...I tend to type in a word and stop and look for another word when I should just type words in all the time....I guess I'll work on that and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:14 AM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default Tips

Keep playing with a desire to improve. Strive to beat records and feel rewarded when you do. A lot of the time I struggle to beat ThunderRock on 4x4 puzzles, this is a fun challenge for me, and it encourages me to play harder.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

If you've ever learned to play guitar, it's a lot like learning the shapes of chords and the patterns of leads. There's a lot of memorization involved to the point where the fingers start to remember where to go, in this case, to type the word patterns that you've figured out. I play to beat my own records and strive to keep up with players like ChiilTomG and Master of the Universe.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I kind of hate to say it, but there's an old line about what the "learning curve" looks like. To start, things improve dramatically (since you're basically starting from zero), then you hit a plateau. You've learned the basics, you're doing your best, but it seems like you're getting nowhere. If you persevere (as megaword said), you get past that and you start improving again. Just keep at it, you will get better, and you'll amaze yourself.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWord View Post
Keep playing with a desire to improve. Strive to beat records and feel rewarded when you do. A lot of the time I struggle to beat ThunderRock on 4x4 puzzles, this is a fun challenge for me, and it encourages me to play harder.
Thanks. I've found that I just needed the motivation to improve and now my scores are getting higher now. I will keep this in mind from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisul View Post
If you've ever learned to play guitar, it's a lot like learning the shapes of chords and the patterns of leads. There's a lot of memorization involved to the point where the fingers start to remember where to go, in this case, to type the word patterns that you've figured out. I play to beat my own records and strive to keep up with players like ChiilTomG and Master of the Universe.
Yeah, I used to play Scrabble, and that also had a lot of memorization. I figured I'll be at this point for quite a while until I get a lot of words memorized and have the motivation to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
I kind of hate to say it, but there's an old line about what the "learning curve" looks like. To start, things improve dramatically (since you're basically starting from zero), then you hit a plateau. You've learned the basics, you're doing your best, but it seems like you're getting nowhere. If you persevere (as megaword said), you get past that and you start improving again. Just keep at it, you will get better, and you'll amaze yourself.
Thanks for the motivation all
Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 AM

ThunderRock is on the road to greatness

Over the years I think I've memorized just about every word it seems that starts with the letters.. J, K, Q, V and Z.. Maybe not the longest words with those starting letters but 3,4 and 5 letters I would say I will get 90% of every one that is on a board. That's the boards I will usually score well over 700 on 4x4 and over 900 on the 5x5. I'm sure Mega, Brisul, and Fast will attest to that, when they see those letters appear on a board.....lookout