Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Spike1005 is an unknown quantity at this point

pdiddp, I'll have to watch out for you. I've been first the last two months in average points per word, but I think that's mostly because the people who beat me before have changed their goals, and not that I've really improved. Anyway, good luck!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Thank you! But I've a feeling that I'm going to need more than luck to beat your game. As I click through the boards I see your name come up quite often in the best or longest word category.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 PM

One thing about going for highest average points per word is that you can basically set your own goal & get there. You just have to be decent (not necessarily the best or anything) at finding the high scoring words. Just abandon any games where your words don't live up to your expectations. My strategy & goals change over time. Currently, I'll play any game where there's a 9+ letter ultra rare word, unless it's clear that it's been found & isn't worth much. If I find a new high scoring word that's worth more than 30 points, I'll keep it. If I match an old high scoring word that will increase my current average, I'll keep it. Otherwise, I abandon the board (or just let the time run out without playing anything). That keeps my average over 30, but it can go up & down. (I do write down the good words I get, whether I abandon the game or not. That's just for personal satisfaction though.)

Last edited by Spike1005 : 03-13-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

I spend too much time poring through games until I find one worth my while. Even then, I may not get the score I want and more often than not, I have to dump out before the time runs out. I definitely spend more time waiting to play than actually playing.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:46 PM

I've done some of that before. My current strategy is somewhat of a compromise. I think looking for & finding long words is fun, whether they're good enough to keep or not. I also like seeing if I can find the old longest word, again, whether it's worth keeping or not. Anyway, I try to balance my fun with my goals. (I do kind of hate throwing away boards where I do get a new longest or highest point word & it's not a keeper, since I do like seeing my name up there.)
Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I only play to score over 700. I try to get a decent word count, somewhere in the 135-138 average.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

I've been looking for boards that have a word that's equal to or above my current PPW average. I do play boards that look like they'd have a high scoring word that hasn't been found yet, and yes, it is sad to have to throw away a board where I found the highest and/or longest word cause it would drop my average too much.

Good thing I do something different every month, it's getting tedious skipping board after board. By the end of the month I'll be lucky to play as many as 3-4 games a day!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

mlwalton13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I can confirm...

It is now clearly evident that I play this game, on my phone at least, far too much. Whenever my phone screen goes white, for whatever reason, I can now see a ghost image of a 4x4 game board on my phone!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddp View Post
Good thing I do something different every month, it's getting tedious skipping board after board. By the end of the month I'll be lucky to play as many as 3-4 games a day!
For me, it's still a challenge to maintain a 700 average for the whole month. I'm not a skilled typist, so each good score I get feels miraculous.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

I would think that a 700 average shows some pretty decent typing skills! Your average is nearly four times mine!

I bet that miraculous feeling is the same feeling I get when I untwist a good long word. Even if I've found it several times before and even if it happened to be the same board, I get a small rush when I swipe it in and it's accepted.