Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 AM

chiman is on the road to greatness

Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 AM

lbm67 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to see a REAL graph of the scores for a particular game. As it stands now, there is a meaningless bell curve laid over a linear scale. The linear scale runs from zero to the high score, and I can see where my score falls on that scale. But I'd really like to see how my score stacks up against all the others. For instance, does my score fall within a cluster of simliar scores, or is mine unusual? For this information, you need a histogram (bar graph). A bell curve is a representation of a histogram showing a statistically normal distribution. I would like to see the ACTUAL distribution of scores, not the THEORETICAL normal distribution centered over the average score.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:29 PM

ActiveD989 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have to see if I can repeat your observations. I wonder why Wordtwist doesn't document this somewhere. If it has, I can't find it.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM

ActiveD989 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of histogram!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

I don't think the vertical position of the star has any meaning whatsoever. I believe that the administrator has stated that previously, somewhere. I know for sure that he's said that the horizontal positioning of the star is an approximation that is inexact.

The star is always within the bell curve. Therefore, when you have a score that's in the "thin" parts of the curve (very low or very high), the star cannot be high on the y axis. The only place on the graph where the star can be close to the top is when your score is in the tallest "average" portion of the graph.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbells View Post

The star is always within the bell curve. Therefore, when you have a score that's in the "thin" parts of the curve (very low or very high), the star cannot be high on the y axis.
I disagree. As I've stated in my last post, I've started paying attention to the star's position since reading this thread, and there have been at least two or three instances where I matched or beat the record for most words while staying below the points record, and the star appeared to be on the top line of the bell curve (as in, half of its bits were sticking out) in the "high" or "very high" sector. I will have to get a screenshot if it happens again.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

IMG_20161012_112125.jpg
So I didn't match the high score this time, but my star is still sticking out of the curve.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Attachment 46
So I didn't match the high score this time, but my star is still sticking out of the curve.
Yes, I should have said that the star is always either within or very close to the line that forms the bell curve.

In that portion of the graph where your picture shows your score and star, it would be hard for the star to be any higher but it would also be hard for the star to be any lower, since the number score is always placed below the star (except maybe when one gets the high score?... don't know, haven't had a high score in the games since I started looking), and, there is always what seems to be a fixed amount of space above the player's score and below the star.

If one does get the high score for a game, it is impossible for the star to fit within the bell, because the bell is so vertically challenged on the right side.

I still hypothesize that the vertical placement of the star is random, except that it never goes far above the bell curve line. This leaves room for the star to be near the top of the rectangle in which the graph is located only when one's point score is very close to the current average point score for the game. I haven't yet seen any evidence that anything other than total points is taken into account when one's star is seen on the graph.

Last edited by bigbells : 10-12-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 AM

DonGuy47 is an unknown quantity at this point

This comment doesn't strictly belong in this thread, but... I wish the cutoffs in the bell curves, between average, high, and very high, were clearly labeled. I use which result I've attained to determine how many minutes I have to be productive before my next game