Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 07-10-2017, 07:15 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Thanks Spike and TR, and also lalatan for a compliment in an earlier post. I'm having a good time playing at the moment. I don't feel like I'm in the same league as you guys yet, but I'm learning and most importantly I'm having fun.
You're welcome Kate. Glad you're enjoying the games. The last few days I've had trouble spotting best/longest words so it has been somewhat frustrating. But it's probably just a slump and I'll get out of it. Your post reminded me that it's supposed to be fun. So thanks for that. I'll get my mind off results as much as possible and just play.

I think you are definitely getting better as I see your username pop up in game records more often than previously.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
You're welcome Kate. Glad you're enjoying the games. The last few days I've had trouble spotting best/longest words so it has been somewhat frustrating. But it's probably just a slump and I'll get out of it. Your post reminded me that it's supposed to be fun. So thanks for that. I'll get my mind off results as much as possible and just play.

I think you are definitely getting better as I see your username pop up in game records more often than previously.
Thank you and Kate for the post. I've let a little slump nerve me up and make itself worse.... Time to "RESET"

o

Just push the button. I'm sure it will work. Cause laughing, silly people don't have "score anxiety."

Enjoy!
TR
Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
Thank you and Kate for the post. I've let a little slump nerve me up and make itself worse.... Time to "RESET"

o

Just push the button. I'm sure it will work. Cause laughing, silly people don't have "score anxiety."

Enjoy!
TR
Lol TR. That should come in handy. I also think we could use a panic button to hit when we see a big word with only a few seconds left on the timer.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Target fixation

Just played a game where I found COMPRESSIBLE. Also saw "nesses" so I spent most of the game trying to pair the 2 but it wouldn't fly. At the end of the game I saw COMPREHENSIBLENESS. I missed the better word because of target fixation. I wonder how often that happens. Maybe it's best not to know! lol

Just played a board where I found INCONTROVERTIBLENESSES for 42 pts. Also played INCONTROVERTIBLENESS for 38 pts. Much to my surprise, the latter word was green in the word list. Wow, the record holder missed it. Wonder if that was target fixation or sheer panic to get the 42 pt word typed in before time expired.

Last edited by lalatan : 07-28-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just played a game where I found COMPRESSIBLE. Also saw "nesses" so I spent most of the game trying to pair the 2 but it wouldn't fly. At the end of the game I saw COMPREHENSIBLENESS. I missed the better word because of target fixation. I wonder how often that happens. Maybe it's best not to know! lol

Just played a board where I found INCONTROVERTIBLENESSES for 42 pts. Also played INCONTROVERTIBLENESS for 38 pts. Much to my surprise, the latter word was green in the word list. Wow, the record holder missed it. Wonder if that was target fixation or sheer panic to get the 42 pt word typed in before time expired.

ABILITIES a disabler
NESSES quite monstrous
GRAPH OH YEAH!
then see -CALLY and nothing exists but making a match (frantically)

and yet- there's more CON--- COM-- HYPER-- ....

There out to be a Boggle Law against having those tempters on a board if they aren't part of a really good or great word. 'Cause would just be downright mean

Fixation may be a bigger problem than we know

Congratulations on the great words you found !
Enjoy!
TR
Old 07-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post

ABILITIES a disabler
NESSES quite monstrous
GRAPH OH YEAH!
then see -CALLY and nothing exists but making a match (frantically)

and yet- there's more CON--- COM-- HYPER-- ....

There out to be a Boggle Law against having those tempters on a board if they aren't part of a really good or great word. 'Cause would just be downright mean

Fixation may be a bigger problem than we know

Congratulations on the great words you found !
Enjoy!
TR
Lol, you're such a hoot TR. I've played too many of those games. I believe the clinical term for it is ULTRAPSYCHONEUROPARALYSIS Or is it HYPEREXCITODISCOMBOGGABILITY? It's hard to recall at the moment
Whenever I see ologies on a board my blood runs a little colder. I think, "What on earth am I going to have to find to pair with that??!" There seem to be 1,001 alternatives.

I concur that no prefix or suffix should be left alone on a board. That's just cruel if they allow that.

Thanks and... enjoy the games!

Last edited by lalatan : 07-28-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:30 AM

crazykate is on the road to greatness

-ologies. *Shudders*
You're right, lalatan, I get stressed out whenever I spot that. Or "phyto", which is a prefix I've never even seen outside of wordtwist because it's not my area of expertise. Usually good for a high-scoring word or two, though.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Whenever I see -ologies on a board my blood runs a little colder. I think, "What on earth am I going to have to find to pair with that??!" There seem to be 1,001 alternatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
-ologies. *Shudders*
You're right, lalatan, I get stressed out whenever I spot that. Or "phyto", which is a prefix I've never even seen outside of wordtwist because it's not my area of expertise. Usually good for a high-scoring word or two, though.
My dead cat nature got the best of me today. (curiosity slew the feline) Although I'm not a word scholar like TurtleRace or DrP, I do occasionally look up definitions when the dead cat surfaces. Today I thought of our mutual dread of -ologies. I googled words ending in it and there are only 282 different ones minus a few words like apology.

No wonder we break out in a cold sweat whenever it confronts us! lol

http://www.morewords.com/ends-with/ology/

Last edited by lalatan : 08-11-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:01 AM

I saw THERMO with time running out. After the game submitted, I saw I could've played THERMOSTATTING, THERMOSTATING and THERMOSTAT. (I looked up THERMOSTATTING and it's valid.)
Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm probably not telling you stuff you don't already know, but whenever I see -OLOGIES, I start by tracing back the Os. It seems like every part you can add to that (in reverse order) ends in a O. Count Os, and you have an indication of what you might be able to find. (I got DENDROCHRONOLOGICALLY today that way. Different ending, but I also got ELECTROMETRICALLY.)

crazykate, you're right about PHYTO-. I've gotten a few words that way, but I'm hampered by only going through 8th grade biology or remembering what I've picked up from reading stuff about science. (Of course, I'll also try to put together what looks word-like.)

Last edited by Spike1006 : 08-14-2017 at 08:10 AM.