Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 12-03-2017, 05:27 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I dunno Spike. I feel a little weird not competing for a trophy of any kind. I may change my mind if I get withdrawal symptoms. But it will be a busy month for me so I'll have to see how it goes in terms of time and stress levels.
Also congrats on your 3rd place finish last month! I thought I'd acknowledged that but when I checked this thread I missed it.
Enjoy the games!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 AM

Spike1007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I dunno Spike. I feel a little weird not competing for a trophy of any kind. I may change my mind if I get withdrawal symptoms. But it will be a busy month for me so I'll have to see how it goes in terms of time and stress levels.
Also congrats on your 3rd place finish last month! I thought I'd acknowledged that but when I checked this thread I missed it.
Enjoy the games!
Thanks for the congrats. My current strategy & self-imposed rules as 007 pretty much guarantee that I won't get much higher (although I did better in October) or lower. My ranking there depends on who else is competing & how they do. Right around 30 was a little crowded though, so there's some stiff competition.

Withdrawal is a definite possibility. I assume that you'll still be playing as lalatan though, which should help. You have your own personal records to work for there.

I expect December to be fairly low stress for me. My family will probably do Christmas in January. (We're devout Procrastinarians, if I haven't mentioned that before.) I should take some time off Wordtwist for work occasionally though.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
(We're devout Procrastinarians, if I haven't mentioned that before.)
Lol Spike
Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
thinkbig & mcdonna, this sounds like it will be a weird month without you two in the running for average points/word. I kind of enjoyed getting a few 1st place trophies before thinkbig came along, then enjoyed the competition even more (even if that meant second or lower).
I too enjoy our friendly rivalry. You're the most affable competitor I've had since playing men's singles badminton 30 years ago with a Malaysian guy (badminton is the national sport there; they are crazed about it and even have pro leagues) named Ming Chen. In 2 years he never did beat me but was always keen to play me and learn how to be better.
I wouldn't mind losing to you at all since you have a proven track record and some mad wordsmithing skills. I intend to be back in the fray in February. I feel compelled like a lemming leaping over a cliff to try for 1k 5x5 records in January. Hopefully the results are better for me than for the lemming.

Last edited by lalatan : 12-04-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:01 PM

The 5x5 record thermometer has reached 4,500 and is steadily rising. Woohoo!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:28 PM

lalatan/thinkbig, thanks for the kind words.

I went a little nuts this month, even without thinkbig to run against. I got off to a pretty strong start, so I went with it. I had a few setbacks. (A few days ago, I was playing with a board where I had the previously highest-scoring word for 34 points. I entered that, but the clock ran out before I could kill the game. After kicking myself, I managed to recover. The next day, after switching between 007 & 005, I forgot who I was and took a 30 point word. I recovered again, but only with the help of a board with REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS (and the singular), both worth 45 points.) By then, I realized that I wasn't far from 40 points per word. I happened on the REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS board again. The result is that I'm just over 40 points/word for the month (and enough words to feel like I qualify). I'm afraid to even touch it again. (Then again, it's early in the month, so I may not be able to resist.) I may take January off again (Christmas & all), but look forward to February.

Good luck with your records!

Last edited by Spike1007 : 12-10-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 AM

I noticed you were on a tear. Wow, 4 45 pt words played in close succession, never heard of that happening before. Certainly didn't for me. lol
The luck of the draw can certainly change your fortunes. I went 3 days once without seeing a board with a best word of over 37 pts. Then I got 2 40+ words in 1 day.

Last edited by lalatan : 12-11-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Spike, you're amazing! 🏆
Old 12-11-2017, 02:03 PM

Thanks mcdonna, but a LOT of luck was involved. I did in 10 days more than I can usually do all month.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks mcdonna, but a LOT of luck was involved. I did in 10 days more than I can usually do all month.
It's not enough to get the good boards. You also have to find the words.

That's where I run into trouble!