Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 03-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Nylimb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Game interrupted by Flash Player installation request

Several times in the past month or so, I've had a game disappear after I've been playing for half a minute or so. Instead of showing the game, my browser (Safari 9.0 under Mac OS X 10.11) shows a request to install Flash Player. (See attached image.) When I click on Cancel and hit the back button to try to return to the game, I'm told that the game has already been completed.

I assume that some advertisement is causing this, but I don't know which one.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Note: To make the picture fit, I had to shrink it and save it as a low quality jpeg, so it's not very readable. The important parts of the text are "Please install the latest version of Flash Player HD" and "Flash Player is available for your Mac and is ready to install". The URL starts with "cdn.westbead.com".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 3.26.54 PM.jpg (46.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:51 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Needless to say, don't hit the "install" button.

I don't know much about Macs, but looking around a little, it looks like you were infected by some kind of adware/malware. Did you install anything before this started happening? (From what I read, this stuff can come bundled with some other free program.) If you did, look for everything that was installed at the same time.

Anyway, good luck, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you (or you can try some free malware removal tool).
Old 03-08-2017, 08:11 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Malwarebytes should work if you have been infected by malware. I have used it on my Mac. It is a free program. When installing Flash, Java or the like always go to "official" sites to install them never second or third party sites.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 PM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

dannyb's warning about downloading & installing from the "official" site only is good, and even applies to any malwarebytes (or other) software you might get. (I'm more of a Windows guy (not because I love it, but because I'm comfortable there), and I've downloaded software that I'd used before on other computers, but I wasn't careful about where I was downloading from. It came bundled with browser add-ons, adware, etc.)

From what I've read, I'd second his Malwarebytes anti-malware for Macs recommendation. There's a decent site:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-mac-os-x-virus/

that you can try (if you trust the link) that looks good & contains more information.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 03-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:21 AM

marcez is an unknown quantity at this point

Lately, I have had my cursor disappear from the typing window without my realizing it. I have found that the ads running a movie are causing it. If I X out those windows, it seems to solve the problem. Perhaps they are also causing your Flash problem. Just a thought. :-) I hope you've solved it by now.

marcez
Old 03-11-2017, 07:34 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Try updating your safari. A newer version than 9.0 exists.