Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 03-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

fasteddieb is an unknown quantity at this point

One quick tip is to know palindromes and then get to the point where your fingers have muscle memory down to automatically type that other word. For example, nametage = gateman. tinker = reknit and so on.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Your thread is a goldmine of suggestions from super, great, all-time-best players and you are already a much better player than me. Just in case it might be of any benefit, I wanted to share my recent Wordtwist improvement efforts.

I went through a pretty long slump and decided it was time to crack down on learning some words that kept getting by me. Here’s a list of some of the document files made as a result. The learning curve is a bear, it cuts into playing time, and my slump got a lot worse before I started seeing the long term benefits- but they are there.

Best Scoring WT Words
Sections: Words with 2 or More Bonus Letters, J Words, K Words, Q Words, X Words, Z Words, Other Words (Rare and Extra Rare)

Compound and Common Prefix-Suffix Words

Definitions
Misc. Words and Definitions - Dinosaurs
Most of the original words are now on the ‘Compound...” or “Science-Tech-Arts....” list.

My Best-Longest Words
(LOL. It helps to have some record of neat accomplishments. I’m less likely to File-13 my computer.)

Notes-Temporary

Q without U Words

Science-Tech-Arts-Humanities_Prefixes-Suffixes-Root_Words
It’s a mess right now. I’m still learning the how to deal with the multitude of crossover words and categories. In Biology it’s surprising how many terms refer to humans (medical) and animals (zoology). I defy anyone who is not a chemical engineer, chemist, organic chemist, etc., to organize the terms associated with all the natural and chemical mixtures.

Temp Word Lists

Useful Word Element Combinations

I made a file for ‘WT Competition - Best and Longest Words Played,’ but only put one month of words in it. I look at the competitions occasionally to see if I made it or who did, and I look at the words, but copying another player's words just didn’t feel right.

The best of play to you!
TR
Old 03-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Razorflame is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRock View Post
Over the years I think I've memorized just about every word it seems that starts with the letters.. J, K, Q, V and Z.. Maybe not the longest words with those starting letters but 3,4 and 5 letters I would say I will get 90% of every one that is on a board. That's the boards I will usually score well over 700 on 4x4 and over 900 on the 5x5. I'm sure Mega, Brisul, and Fast will attest to that, when they see those letters appear on a board.....lookout
Thanks for the tips! I will keep this in mind in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddieb View Post
One quick tip is to know palindromes and then get to the point where your fingers have muscle memory down to automatically type that other word. For example, nametage = gateman. tinker = reknit and so on.
I thought palindromes were words that were spelled the same backwords and forwords...I think you meant anagrams, but after I typed this, I realized that you meant to say palindrome as nametage = gateman - the last e in nametage. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
Your thread is a goldmine of suggestions from super, great, all-time-best players and you are already a much better player than me. Just in case it might be of any benefit, I wanted to share my recent Wordtwist improvement efforts.

I went through a pretty long slump and decided it was time to crack down on learning some words that kept getting by me. Here’s a list of some of the document files made as a result. The learning curve is a bear, it cuts into playing time, and my slump got a lot worse before I started seeing the long term benefits- but they are there.

Best Scoring WT Words
Sections: Words with 2 or More Bonus Letters, J Words, K Words, Q Words, X Words, Z Words, Other Words (Rare and Extra Rare)

Compound and Common Prefix-Suffix Words

Definitions
Misc. Words and Definitions - Dinosaurs
Most of the original words are now on the ‘Compound...” or “Science-Tech-Arts....” list.

My Best-Longest Words
(LOL. It helps to have some record of neat accomplishments. I’m less likely to File-13 my computer.)

Notes-Temporary

Q without U Words

Science-Tech-Arts-Humanities_Prefixes-Suffixes-Root_Words
It’s a mess right now. I’m still learning the how to deal with the multitude of crossover words and categories. In Biology it’s surprising how many terms refer to humans (medical) and animals (zoology). I defy anyone who is not a chemical engineer, chemist, organic chemist, etc., to organize the terms associated with all the natural and chemical mixtures.

Temp Word Lists

Useful Word Element Combinations

I made a file for ‘WT Competition - Best and Longest Words Played,’ but only put one month of words in it. I look at the competitions occasionally to see if I made it or who did, and I look at the words, but copying another player's words just didn’t feel right.

The best of play to you!
TR
I take it these are all threads posted. I will have to search for them sometime! Thank you for the suggestions.

I feel like my play has already improved just from reading all these wonderful suggestions posted here! Thanks to everyone who posted!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 AM
MegaDestructor9

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default Semordnilap

Fasteddieb:
Quote:
This is a good tip, it wasn't until a few months ago that I discovered the (S)TINKER-REKNIT(S) one. A nice one I recently discovered was LEBEN-NEBEL; I had known LEBEN was a word for a while, but I finally noticed NEBEL found in the list after finishing a puzzle and realized it was just LEBEN backwards. This, and other similar strategies such as knowing hooks (1 letter added to front or back of word) and common extensions (2+ letters added to front or back of word) are very effective. And I believe the proper term for them is semordnilap, which is palindromes backwards. A palindrome example is LEVEL, a word or phrase that reads exactly the same forwards and backwards. A semordnilap is a valid word or phrase that reads any other valid word or phrase backwards.

EDIT: Upon reflection, furthering this semordnilap strategy would definitely help me. I can already think of some good ones that I'm not utilizing: SNARK-KRANS, RANK-KNAR, RANG-GNAR, TANG-GNAT, (?)UNG-GNU. And even close ones like PLIM-MILPA. For me a good strategy is a combination of knowing hooks, extensions, anagrams, and semordnilaps. A good anagram example is JUG-GJU. Always look for ways to associate tougher words with easier, known words. Slowly build upon the foundation. The more the words occur in a puzzle, the easier it will be to remember them while playing. I used to find SIES all the time, later on I discovered the only extension to SIES is SIESTA(s). So almost every time I find SIES, I do a quick check for SIESTA(s) since it's such a high probability occurrence. And in this case I usually always get the semordnilap, SEIS, along with it's hooks and extensions that occur commonly enough that I've managed to remember them. In this way, fast typing speed helps to solidify more associations in each puzzle, which carry on to the next. A nice word that I've recently added to my memory is SONERI(s), it's high probability and I've found it enough to retain it. When I find SONE(s) I do a quick check for it, not hard considering that it's the only extension to SONE(s)

Last edited by MegaWord : 03-14-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: reflection