Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 AM

BostonTerrier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are some plurals worth less than the singular?

How can "nixer" be 10 points but "nixers" is eight points? This type of scoring makes it difficult to judge how you are doing while you're playing. Is there any trick to knowing how words are going to be scored? I figured that no matter what a plural of the same exact word would be worth more, not less!

Last edited by BostonTerrier : 07-27-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM

uhsting is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too! In one game, I typed "man" and it gave 6 points but "mans" gave me around 3 to 4 points. "Men" also gave me the same score. It could be a glitch.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Utu is worth more than utus
Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
BrightSky9

BrightSky9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some differences would come from how often the plural and singular are used. "Man" as a male human is very common. "Mans" as in "he mans the boat" is much less common. Perhaps a group of "nixers" (like "naysayers") is more common than a single "nixer."
Old 07-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

ChillTomG is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSky9 View Post
Some differences would come from how often the plural and singular are used. "Man" as a male human is very common. "Mans" as in "he mans the boat" is much less common. Perhaps a group of "nixers" (like "naysayers") is more common than a single "nixer."

Both man and mans should be common 3 point words. It's a bug that sometimes man is worth six.

As to the deeper question of whether common suffixes should be worth the same (eg dog, dogs, dogged, dogger, doggers, dogging etc) i agree because we here all know to look for them. but that would be way too hard to reclassify them as this site jsearches see database to see how common the word is. So of it saw lots of dog but almost no doggers, then one is common and the other is ultra rare.