Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 08-29-2017, 09:38 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default It has been a crazy, surprising run!

Last week I hit a milestone of 10k combined 4x4, 5x5 best and longest word records. (2,417 of them are on my first username, ibme54. I started playing here April 2014.)
About 6,800 of them I achieved since the start of last November.

A year ago I couldn't have imagined such a thing happening for me. As the run continued, I kept thinking it will dry up eventually. But it's still flowing. I started going for records playing 5x5 May 8 and so far have collected 1,876 of those. I'd like to get 1k of each type by Sept. 7 but we shall see. Last month was off the charts for me: 814 combined records and 1 day when I set 80.

As you know, It's a sliding scale with word records. I lose some every day but for the most part overcome those losses. Those of you who have bettered some of my records know I play some pretty lame words sometimes because that's all I see for that game.

It truly has been a crazy, surprising and very satisfying run. To be continued...

Last edited by lalatan : 08-29-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:14 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

lalatan - That's great! Hard to tell if it's a streak, or you've just gotten a hell of a lot better. (OK, being an optimist/pessimist, I'm guessing some of both.) Anyway, congratulations!

By the way, I didn't realize that you were also ibme54. Are you anyone else I should know about?

Last edited by Spike1006 : 08-29-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1006 View Post
lalatan - That's great! Hard to tell if it's a streak, or you've just gotten a hell of a lot better. (OK, being an optimist/pessimist, I'm guessing some of both.) Anyway, congratulations!

By the way, I didn't realize that you were also ibme54. Are you anyone else I should know about?
Thanks a lot Spike! I have gotten a lot better since then and like to think I'm still improving. I've been working on my midrange game the last 2 months, words valued between 12 & 35.

As you already know, I'm also thinkbig. I've been considering starting up Spike1008. Haha just kidding
Old 08-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, lalatan! Superstupendious !!!

You may never need the Reset button again. Just read this post and see what amazing play you've accomplished.

Take a bow. Hear the cheering of the crowd. At least pat yourself heartily on the back. You deserve it!

Looking forward to more..
Enjoy!
TR

PS: How do you keep all those records? I can't find an easy way to keep records that doesn't require more time than I have patience. I wish there was a way to just do regular downloads or a way to view our past games on site. (Just dreaming)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
PS: How do you keep all those records? I can't find an easy way to keep records that doesn't require more time than I have patience. I wish there was a way to just do regular downloads or a way to view our past games on site. (Just dreaming)
My best guess is to pay a good Russian hacker (or the NSA) to keep track for you. I'd like to keep a little better track of what I do myself.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
Wow, lalatan! Superstupendious !!!

You may never need the Reset button again. Just read this post and see what amazing play you've accomplished.

Take a bow. Hear the cheering of the crowd. At least pat yourself heartily on the back. You deserve it!

Looking forward to more..
Enjoy!
TR

Thank you so much TR!

I take a screenshot of My Scores (menu item at top of game page) page on my smartphone every night. Using a computer you can take a screenshot by pressing the PrtScn (print screen) key. It copies it to the clipboard and from there you can paste into a document or photo app and save it there.
You could also keep jpg's of your best games the same way. (which is what I've done)

Last edited by lalatan : 08-29-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Thanks a lot Spike! I have gotten a lot better since then and like to think I'm still improving. I've been working on my midrange game the last 2 months, words valued between 12 & 35.

As you already know, I'm also thinkbig. I've been considering starting up Spike1008. Haha just kidding
I'm still working on my franchise fee.

Anyway, if 35 points is in your "midrange", I'm impressed.

By the way, I don't know if it's any more convenient, but there are applications (like ScreenGrab) that will let you capture & save a window or full desktop.

Last edited by Spike1006 : 08-29-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 AM

FranklyMyDear is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats, lalatan! I, too, try to get the longest words (I'm gettin' too old to get speedy, plus I never was an outstanding typist to begin with). Whenever I see your nic as the record holder on a board, I just go ahead and click for a new board, because I know there's pretty much zero chance of me finding a better word.

WTG!!
Old 08-30-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1006 View Post
Anyway, if 35 points is in your "midrange", I'm impressed.
I'm an NBA fan (Golden State Warriors is my fave team.) and for whatever reason I see 36+ pts words as 3-pointers. They're harder to get but give you more reward. I spent the majority of my Boggle study time reading, memorizing some and their point values, analyzing their structure and hunting for them when I first started 5x5. I came to get a feel for what type of word was expected by the point value. For instance, 36 pointers often end with -nesses, have a longer root word and pretty much require a prefix or 2 of some kind.
I didn't really do that with words below 36 until the last few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion but my current method of screen capture works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklyMyDear View Post
Congrats, lalatan! I, too, try to get the longest words (I'm gettin' too old to get speedy, plus I never was an outstanding typist to begin with). Whenever I see your nic as the record holder on a board, I just go ahead and click for a new board, because I know there's pretty much zero chance of me finding a better word.

WTG!!
Thanks FMD! I've seen you make some good finds in 4x4.

Hahaa, I'm pretty sure I leave the door open to have my records bettered quite often. As I mentioned in another thread, I play between midnight and 1 a.m. just about every day before sleeping. My brain doesn't function that well then and I come up with some pretty pathetic finds. (Midafternoon seems to be when I'm at the top of my game.) Nevertheless I continue the practice. I've even told myself to not play any new games then but just ignore my own advice. Maybe some good news for you is I'm migrating to 5x5 and will only go for the avg pts/word trophy in 4x4.

Enjoy the games!

Last edited by lalatan : 08-30-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Default Made it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I started going for records playing 5x5 May 8 and so far have collected 1,876 of those. I'd like to get 1k of each type by Sept. 7 but we shall see. Last month was off the charts for me: 814 combined records and 1 day when I set 80.
fwiw, I achieved my goal of 1k each of longest word and best word records on Sept. 2. As of now, I hold 1,055 best word records and 1,101 longest word records in 5x5 for a total of 2,156 in 4 calendar months. So, even though I'm mostly striking out today, I'm pleased with the results.

Onwards to 2k each and 20k overall!!

Last edited by lalatan : 09-08-2017 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Added 23 more records by day's end